Chooks dying- hope it's not Marek's!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Claire Blakester, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Hello All out there in BYC land. I am a novice in the ways and means of chickens- just taken over a flock that came with our property in Invergowrie, NSW, Australia. I have 7 hens and 2 roosters (one is a very cute but fiesty fighting cock, my daughter named him Handsome Gretel and carries him around all over the place- in the house/cradles him like a baby!).

I am concerned because 2 of the hens have recently died- one that I was expecting. She had grown a tumor on her leg over the past few months, and I had rung the local vet to see if we could take her for humane euthanasia (I have been a vegetarian for most of my life and could not follow the neighbours' quick solution to my problem!!)- I decided that as soon as she was no longer able to, or interested in food or water, I would take her for the trip to the vets. I left it and left it (finding it hard to make that decision for her when she was still eating and drinking if I brought her fresh water a few times a day). Eventually either the pain paralysed her (she was isolated from the flock by this time), or it was something else (Marek's?? I have heard it contributes to tumors- but I always thought they occurred on internal organs rather than limbs- her tumor was HUGE (the size of a grown mouse) and simply the size of it meant that she hopped rather than walked for a long time before her (timely) demise. Anyway, she died. A day later, an Isa Brown hen, who had been in the best of health, (I thought) appeared to be groggy, sleepy- it took me picking her up to wake her up- she had her beak resting on the ground to hold her head up through her slumberous state. It lasted 24 hours, then she died (we had her in isolation too)- she wasn't interested in anything- could move a bit, but not much- I was worried about the paralysis of Marek's- and wondered if it could be it. We have a problem with venomous brown snakes around here (I had a run in with one in out aviary last December)- and since the weather is getting warmer, I was also thinking that it could have been a small snake bite (for the Isa Brown). What do you all think? Any advice would be good!! I am very keen to learn about caring for chickens- I love them but it has taken a bit to get used to the violence of the pecking order. Thankyou in advance!! Claire.

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It sounds unrelated to me. I don't think it's Marek's. This page has some good photos and information.

3. Hey thanks! Looked at the page(s) you suggested (there is so much there!! A great reference for future problems!- interesting just to read!!).

Thankyou, and I hope we will be in contact again soon!

Claire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by