Chooks laying eggs everywhere sept where i want

NEWTO CHOOKS

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
I have a few chooks in the yard. Their laying everywhere except where i want. Ocassionally they lay in the coop. I leave dummy eggs in the coop but sure enough we still find eggs in hedges, log shed , bike shed, planters etc. we now have a hamburg who has hatched 4 chicks in a grass collection box. we thought she had been taken by a fox 3 weeks ago.

I'm a novice. Any ideas?

Well, the dummy eggs should help. One suggestion is how high are you nest boxes off the floor. Mine are about 1 1/2 ft off the ground but I still have a small ramp up to them so it's easier for the chickens to get up. Try picking up your hens and placing them in the boxes, maybe they don't know the boxes are there.

since your hens arnt really laying in the henhouse.you have to lock them in the henhouse for 3wks without letting them out during the day.since you let them freerange alotthey decide to lay where they want.

The confinement should help, and when you let them out again, don't let them out until early afternoon. By then most of them will have laid their eggs-where they are supposed to. Close them up in the coop again after they have gone in for the evening to roost.

Last edited:
thanks all. they do have a run attached to the coop about 12 feet long an 4 feet wide, perhaps i'll not let them free range for a whaile as suggested. The orpington bantams tend to get a bit spiteful to the blue menorca but i'm sure they'll sort themselves out.
Do you think they'll be alright in a run that size for a while (7 hens 1 roo)

Thanks Again

Back
Top Bottom