Chooks looking after goose eggs

bigbillybagel

Chirping
Sep 13, 2020
France
Hi guys,

So for the last few months I've had around 4 chooks that have been broody. As I currently don't want any new chicks from our current group of chooks and my geese are being not-so-great mums, I decided I'd give a goose egg to one of the chooks to look after.

Has anyone ever tried this? I read up a little on it earlier and apparently I need to turn the egg a few times per day as the hen won't be able to, and also spray the egg from time to time to help her + the egg.

Any advice would be great. I'm not expecting miracles but as I currently have loads of goose eggs I'd thought why the hell not try!

Cheers!

I've incubated both goose and duck eggs with chicken hens - full sized birds not bantams. Most will set the extra week that is necessary. I neither turned or moistened the eggs and had satisfactory results. Good luck. The chicken hens become frantic when their ducklings/goslings enter the water for a swim.

I've incubated both goose and duck eggs with chicken hens - full sized birds not bantams. Most will set the extra week that is necessary. I neither turned or moistened the eggs and had satisfactory results. Good luck. The chicken hens become frantic when their ducklings/goslings enter the water for a swim.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it possible to intergrate the gosling with the geese? I was also considering perhaps trying to put the egg back when it's virtually time for it to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom