Chooks on top of the nesting boxes.

Krodsorin

Songster
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
NSW Australia
Im pretty sure this is just a dominance thing. but their is a group of chooks on the perch and then a group on top of the nesting boxes, i dont want them on top of the nesting boxes because they poop up there and they are sitting in their own poop when they sleep up there.

I had a problem with hens roosting on the nestboxes and was advised to go in the coop at night and simply move them to where I wanted them to roost.It only took 2 or three nights of doing this and they caught on.Now the nestboxes are only used for what they are inteded for.

I had my dh purposefully build our nesting boxes flat so my girls (and boy) would have a place to hang-out. I covered it in leno & just put some shavings on top. The shavings seem to help in keeping control of the poop & moisture. If I see that its getting a little too nasty, I just scrape off the old shavings & put on some new.

The smaller girls like to sit up there. I currently do not have a ledge to keep the shavings on the nesting boxes, however, they seem to be pretty good about not kicking them off...so far anyway
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom