Chooks standing in the rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gazinga, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

ok, maybe a stupid question, and already have a good idea of the answer, but i want to hear form you guys, smarter as a group and all.

I have chickens (orpingtons) that are 17 weeks old. this was the first rains they experienced last night. They just stood there and got soaked!, it didnt really seem to bother them much and when the rain got too heavy they went into the coop to retreat. When the rain slowed down, they returned to the run.
    I have provided a source of food and water both in the coop and in the run. I wouldnt worry too much exceot it is also kind of cold out too if your wet, about 40 degrees. SO.....should i worry or will they take care of themselves pretty much, or do i need to show them the way, lol......

2. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to chickens as well, mine are about 4 months old. We had rain here yesterday, and my silkies did get wet. They have a covered run, but they got wet anyway, and it did not seem to bother them. The temp was higher here, about 60, so I wasn't too worried, but since their feathers pretty much disappear into little wet spikes it is certain they chill.

I tossed out some hen scratch for them and hoped for the best. They went into the coop as needed to get warm, and ended the day the regular way. Today they were all dry and ready to go again.

I think they can handle wet feathers! [​IMG]

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    My chickens don't mind the rain either. Over the years I have watched my different breeds and some seem smarter than others about getting under cover in the rain and some just don't care. My poor roo was out there crowing for them to come in today and they just ignored him and kept pecking at the ground!

Silly chickens! [​IMG]

4. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    My birds, except the frizzles, seem to like the rain. I chased them in a few times early on, but they went right back out as soon as I was gone. No ill effects, and we have had several days of cold rain. They go in and fluff when they get cold.

5. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I guess it brings out bugs.

It should be fine if they don't try to dustbath in a puddle

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Mine do this also, I think its kind of dumb since the nice dry coop is right there, but im sure they have the chicken reasons why they should be out in it !! Sure do look dumb standing there soaked !!

My silkies I have a tarp over half the coop so they go under that when it rains (some what smart)

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    My Orps and Wyandottes are terrible about standing out in the rain. They almost seem to enjoy it if that is possible. I don't worry about it any more. [​IMG]

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens are a lot like horses- if they get soaked in warm rain they should be fine, but if they get drenched in cold rain and it's windy you have to watch out![​IMG]

9. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    I read a similar post last week, and decided that I would let mine out over the weekend if they wanted to. Like your weather, ours got colder over the day, until it was mid 40's. The youngsters (11 weeks) all decided pretty early that the rain was 'for the birds' and went into their coop. The 3 older Leghorns all stayed out for quite awhile longer - but the property is heavily wooded so they probably weren't soaked anyway. When it got really heavy, they went and hung out UNDER the coop. No one seems to have taken any harm from it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by