Choosing a breed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NewBernChickens, Sep 25, 2014.

1. NewBernChickens

NewBernChickens New Egg

Sep 25, 2014
    Hello all,
    My family is new to chickens and are still preparing the chicken coop and the run for them. We still are undecided as to what breed we would like. Any suggestions? We prefer small, brightly colored eggs.

NewBernChickens

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! As for breeds, Here are a couple of links to some nice chicken breed comparison charts you might like http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html and http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf when you have narrowed down your choices, don't forget to check the BYC Reviews section for member reviews on the different breeds. Most breeds also come in Bantam versions if you are wanting mostly small eggs. If you like colorful eggs, the Easter Egger or Ameraucana/Araucana, are a fun breed because they usually lay green/blue eggs, and then there are the Welsummer and Marans for those dark brown eggs... have fun deciding! Most hatcheries will have Bantam EEs and some have Welsummers. For smallish white eggs, Hamburgs, Buttercups and Fayoumis are smallish standard breeds to consider, they are rather flighty but good layers, Leghorns also come in Bantam.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Kelsie gave you good information so I will just say [​IMG]

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Ooh! Choosing breeds is quite the chore!

Besides small, brightly colored eggs what else are you looking for? Meat? Pets? Cold or heat hardy breeds? Foragers? Dual Purpose?

For small, bright eggs I'd recommend the bantam easter egger, silkie, sebright or bantam barred rock. Pretty much any bantam will lay small eggs. Now if you are looking for meat, bantams are not a good choice. You should then look into heavy, meat birds such as game birds, buff orpingtons, faverlloes, australorps, barred rocks, etc. If you are looking for a pet then consider silkies, buff orpingtons, australorps, speckled sussex, barred rocks, EEs, (easter eggers) and cochins. If you are wanting good egg production look for barred rocks, leghorns, sex links, production reds and australorps. If you are looking for cold hardy breeds, buff orps, australorps, speckled sussex, faverlloes, barred rocks, EEs, brahmas and cochins are all good. For heat, leghorns, andalusians, barred rocks, sebrights, sex links, etc are good.

Here's some good links to check out too.
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Best of luck to you!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Lots of good information given by the above posters. So I will just welcome you to our flock!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. If you want brightly colored eggs, then Easter Eggers are the way to go. They are available in both standard and bantam sizes and they are good layers and their eggs come in a variety of different colors; blue, olive, green, beige, and sometimes even pink or gold. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with our flock.

8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Very good information above! If yours will be a family flock, you may want to narrow your search by taking a look at breed disposition too. Balancing egg type, egg production, appearance, disposition, weather tolerance, and confinement tolerance is part of the fun of shopping for a new flock.

Welcome to BYC!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

10. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by