Choosing a Broody?

Any chance you could hardware cloth her in and let her out for regular broody breaks? We did that at the end but only had 13 hens to contend with. The latest one wound up regularly on a different nest so I totally understand that wouldn't work for actual incubation of eggs

No, I couldn't under the current circumstances because of the hours I work. 3 days a week I wouldn't be able to attend her to give her the breaks.

If I weren't working it would be a good idea.

I let any broody that will stay sitting tight. After I move them to a broody coop, hatch some eggs. I do the same as when I introduce brooder raised chicks to the main flock. I let them out of their broody coop to roam around the yard. They usually go back to the broody coop for awhile. Then eventually start going back to the main coop, with the rest of the flock.

The problem I'm having is that so far the broodies won't graft to the new nest when I move them out of the regular boxes.

The problem I'm having is that so far the broodies won't graft to the new nest when I move them out of the regular boxes.
I have that problem also. If they don’t graft to the new nest. I still leave them in the broody coop. To stop them from being broody. If they stay tight on the new nest for a week. They get a clutch of eggs to hatch. Usually by the time mine are going broody. I have hatched all the purebred chicks that I want for the year. So I have integrated my breeders back into one flock. So I am not very concerned with them being successful. I feel if they are determined enough to sit tight and wear their body down. They deserve to be a mother for their efforts. I have more sneak off and hide their nest. Then reappear with chicks in tow.

And another failure to graft to the new nest.

I *thought* I created the maternity ward in accordance with the recommendations of various articles and threads here, but my hens don't seem to agree with me.

You could try taking a cardboard box, turning it on its side, and putting it in the corner of the maternity ward. That will feel more like a nestbox.

I've had some hens that could be moved, some that could not be moved, and some that were picky about how I moved them.

I finally decided on something a bit like you're doing-- if a hen goes broody, move her to the maternity ward, wait a few days, and either she stays or she breaks. If she stays, then I can give her eggs.

I've also had success with using an incubator for the eggs, while the broody stays in the flock nest on fake eggs (for the hens that cannot be moved while broody.) When the chicks hatch in the incubator, I put one or two under the broody at night, and take away the fake eggs. The next morning I can move broody + chicks and she will then stay at the new place. That night, with the broody in the right place, I give her the rest of the chicks. So far, that has worked every time I tried it, although I expect I will find an exception some day.

You could try taking a cardboard box, turning it on its side, and putting it in the corner of the maternity ward. That will feel more like a nestbox.

I've had some hens that could be moved, some that could not be moved, and some that were picky about how I moved them.

I finally decided on something a bit like you're doing-- if a hen goes broody, move her to the maternity ward, wait a few days, and either she stays or she breaks. If she stays, then I can give her eggs.

I've also had success with using an incubator for the eggs, while the broody stays in the flock nest on fake eggs (for the hens that cannot be moved while broody.) When the chicks hatch in the incubator, I put one or two under the broody at night, and take away the fake eggs. The next morning I can move broody + chicks and she will then stay at the new place. That night, with the broody in the right place, I give her the rest of the chicks. So far, that has worked every time I tried it, although I expect I will find an exception some day.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm thinking of moving it over to the other side of the coop closer to the nestboxes and seeing if they'll like it better over there.

And another failure to graft to the new nest.

I *thought* I created the maternity ward in accordance with the recommendations of various articles and threads here, but my hens don't seem to agree with me.

Two more are growling in the boxes this afternoon, so I'll try another one tomorrow, after cleaning up the mess from the last one and re-making the nest with more fresh straw.

Back
Top Bottom