choosing a first ever chicken breed

chickens10

Hatching
Feb 17, 2015
Hi! I'm a new member, and I'm wondering what breed I should get for a pet. It's my first time ever having chickens and I really want to get a breed that's right for me. any suggestions?
smile.png

If you are not concerned about eggs, the silkie breed tends to make great pets they come in several colors and are very good with children as well. They tend to be very docile, so generally get picked up by more aggressive breeds. They are not the greatest egg layers. My friend has 5 house chickens, 3 silkies and 2 seramas. You may want to check out the "Silky thread" (put that in search box) so you can see what others are doing with them and there are always lots of photos posted. The people there would surely give you advice if that is what you want. Welcome to the flock.

That depends on what is right for you. Having only one is not a great idea. They do better in a flock even if it is only 2. Are you or do you have a coop? Where do you intend to keep them. Confined or free range. Do you live where it gets super cold. Then you need to choose a breed that is cold hardy and if you live where it is hot then you need to choose a breed that can stand the heat. Some are good egg layers some are not. Some are big and some are small. There is a lot of things to consider before getting your first chicken. If you spend some time on the Breeds form you will see the differences in the breeds and will be able to narrow it down to what works for you.
Example: We have a friend that wants the Barred Rock chickens because he likes the black and white color. But he doesn't want a big bird as well as the space he has is too small. Barred Rocks are not the birds for him.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

Good advice has already been posted.

I think you should

Decide why you want chickens - fun, pets, eggs, meat. I wanted friendly pets for fun and eggs.

Decide how many you can raise and house. Some areas restrict how many you can have. But they are happier in flocks and 3 or 4 is better. Look at how much space they require.

Look at breed qualities/personalities that meet your decisions and your climate.

Visit the learning center articles, explore the coop/run forums. Once you have an idea of what role your chickens will have then likely you will know what breeds you are interested in. There are several where are you forums, and you can ask those in your region what does best there. Feel free to ask questions. Good luck in your choices.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock".

You've received some good advice already! Your climate and whether you want birds that lay decently will determine which breed would be the best pet for you. Silkies and Cochins tend to make excellent pets, but won't lay as well as some other breeds.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

You've received some good advice already.
smile.png
Some friendly breeds that I particularly recommend as pets include Silkies, Cochins, Wyandottes, D'Anvers, and Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom