Choosing a good farm to purchase from?

I agree with Parvo being a high risk, what I'm simply saying is there is also risk of you and your family bringing it home every time you step foot outside. Did you know that most puppy mills sell on the Internet and always!! Always!! Have a nice picture of the puppy, clean with a nice background. You don't think people are stupid enough to post a picture of an animal living in filth do you? That's why you go visit the place.
Back to livestock... Tell me if I'm wrong or it's done different in other areas.. But Petting exhibits, state fairs, etc.. Have hand sanitizer for prevent YOU from getting sick. They don't require you to change clothes and dip your feet in bleach to protect the animals..
We are talking small farms, and if you feel it's that much of a concern then by all means have people do a foot bath. But to prevent someone from coming out to see your animals that you are trying to sell and trying to play it off as bio security reasons is a load of crap in my opinion.
Thank you

I hadn't known how to phrase it coherently, but you hit the nail right on the head. The farm I was mentioning only posts super close photos of cute. Picturesque fields, puppies playing with children, adorably bunnies halo'd by their mama's fur.

If you show me a picture of a goat, and there's not some muck, I'm going to be surprised. If you show me a picture of a 2 month old puppy and it's perfectly clean and groomed, I'm going to be suspicious. If you show me that photo and refuse to let me on site before I buy because you're "too busy" running the farm (the reason I found stated), I'm going to assume you're an abusive breeder.

I can understand the biosecurity aspect if you're working on a large scale. I've been corresponding with a goat breeder who has a few thousand head at a time. To them, selling is a way to thin their herd. But when breeding/selling is your bread and butter...What's the point in having a farm and selling the animals if you insist on your customers purchasing sight-unseen?

Rule of thumb-- If you see a red flag ....avoid. seriously there are many reasons not to have people to your farm. Some people live alone and worry about creepers. Some worry about the sprained my ankle lawsuit. Some worry about the CL scoopers, that dont buy the item, but turn up later and clean you out. Some worry about biosecurity. For whatever reason if someone might not want you to their farm, if this sends a red flag simply avoid, and look elsewhere. I do things on feel, and I either feel the sale (buying or selling) or I dont. Then I just go with it. Good luck to you, and I hope you find your rabbitts and goats.

Just an update

I put out a Craigslist ad that I was looking to purchase goats in the future. I asked if there were any goat breeders around who would be willing to talk to me, form a relationship and let me put a deposit on some animals for next spring.

So far, I've heard from two amazing farmers, no strings attached. Both were very willing to answer questions to help me get started "right." In fact, I'm heading over to one today, a meat farm, so he can show me his set-up and give me some tips. I've learned more from an hour of conversation with these guys than I have from all the books I've read.

I haven't been so luck with the rabbits - it seems the professional breeders around here are a pretentious bunch, sadly - but I'm hopeful I'll find someone who isn't locked exclusively into the ARBA or bust mindset, willing to talk. I know the ARBA is good, but that route is honestly far more work, effort and investment than we're looking for since this won't be a business.

Back
Top Bottom