Choosing a Hatchery - Ideal poultry?

I'm real new here so take this for what it is worth. Ideal is <2 hr trip for me. I ordered my first ducks from them and was supposed to pick them up yesterday. First they called and told me that they had to substitute due to hatch failures. No problem. This is my first little flock so I am more concerned about the process than the breed. Like I said these are my learner flock.

While on the road to Ideal, They called and said they messed up and did not have my ducks.

They did everything right, except pull my order. The 8 am call asking me to sub a different breed should have been the end and I should have duckings.

I called Metzer and some new ducks arrive next week. I realize that there could be a delay if Metzer's ducks fail to hatch out, but at least I wont be wasting gas and time...lol.

I am sure Ideal are ok as i believe they supply Tractor Supply, but TSC stock is like Petsmart fish, they are good enough for the audience, but buyer beware. I just wanted to share my story.

Patrick

In the end, for me, I had a specific date I wanted to get my goslings. Ideal couldn't get me Embdens for that date, so I just went with Metzers as I do like how they put grogel in the boxes for the babies to eat while shipping. And from hearing how their quality is higher versus other hatcheries. But whatever that means, as I only plan to butcher them in late fall to early winter anyway. For me, they are my lawn mowers in a large fenced area that I have. And it's nice having the grass and weeds kept down in that pen where I have several pigeon lofts. Anyhow, I'm now all excited that soon 3 buffs, 3 Africans, and 4 embdens will be here in late April. But if one wants geese, better order early... I bet if I had waited a month even Metzer's couldn't get my birds to me as they'd have sold out.

hi, I know this is a late post to your original post. In 2006, we ordered our first group of chickens and geese from Ideal. We eventually had 10 geese within the first 2 years. We have one left, so in March I am driving to Ideal to pick up 3 companions for him. All of the geese we received from Ideal lived quite a while. We lost several to predators in one night. Even though quality might not be as good, they were very healthy, good tempered geese. They were Toulouse.

I got a pair of Romans from them last week, I had them shipped because I live in GA. Tbey were in a little box with 10 black sex links for body heat( free of charge). They are the cutest things ever and so far I haven' had any issues.
20180315_120728.jpg

Attachments

• 20180315_100428.jpg
    20180315_100428.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180319_203522.jpg
    20180319_203522.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 4
I paid 36 for 2 Romans sexed 1 each, anbd that was with shipping. Originally I was going to get Embden but changed my mind. The price was only a few dollars different

Back
Top Bottom