Choosing between 2 cockerals

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindaN, Nov 5, 2008.

1. LindaN

LindaN Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    Chicago
    The two Easter Eggers I got as chicks this year have both turned out to be cockerals. (So much for paying extra for sexed chicks!) They are now 17 weeks old, and I will have to make a decision about which one to keep. (Luckily, Chicago does not ban roosters outright, and the few neighbors who have commented about the crowing have not been negative.)

My flock consists of 3 mature hens (1.5 years old) and 2 more 17-week old pullets. In reading throught the forums since I joined last year, I see that it's not a good thing to have more than one rooster with such a small flock. I don't want them fighting with each other or over-taxing the hens, after all.

I think I know what to look for in a good rooster based on forum posts, too. I'm trying to figure out *when* I'll have to start keeping a close eye on the flock, though, to determine which will be the better rooster.

At what point do they start trying to mount the hens? If they start out seeming to be rather gentle with the hens, what is the chance they would change and get more destructive? Or vice-versa?

Ideally, I'd like to keep on eye on "boys" and how they start to interact with the ladies before making my final decision. After all, I'd hate to choose one cockeral too hastily, only to find that he's a brute to the hens or he starts getting mean with me.

Both cockerals are very pretty, and so far both are well-behaved. I wouldn't be keeping a rooster in the flock because I want to hatch eggs or breed chickens, just because it is part of natural flock behavior...and because I can and they are so pretty, too!

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

And if anyone is interested in an Easter Egger rooster, I'll post on the Buy, Sell, Trade forums once I've determined which to re-home.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Sometimes this is a hard decision.Sometimes the nice gentle roo isn't always the best protector of the flock.I guess for you,maybe the best choice would be decide if you want a good guardian or gentleman.
    One thing for sure roosters change as they mature.Especially the younger ones.If possible spend lots of time with them and handle them alot.Either way you'll never really know til they get older. good luck Will

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by