choosing Black Australorp chicks for darkest color

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cobrien, Mar 31, 2009.

1. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Hello,
    I will getting my first BA chicks in a few weeks. I've noticed from photos of hens that some are darker black/green while others are more of a pale black. Is there any way to tell from the color of a chick if she is more likely to turn out dark black?

Thanks!
    Colleen

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    a pure BA will look black/green and have black/ white legs, if it has white spots above the eyeswhen it is a chick it will be a roo and white tips on its wings. if it is all black when it is a chick it will be a hen . or at least this is the way mine do. william

[​IMG]

3. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Oh dear! I guess that means our 2-week old chicks are cockerels and will have to go...sigh [​IMG]

4. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Don't count your Austalorps before they feather out. LOL!

My pullet had white wing tips and lost them before she started laying. The same bird also had a single white spot at the back (corner) of each eye (not above it) as well.

Edited to add: She is now a beautiful full black with green overlay and black legs.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  5. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    [​IMG]

here are what I hoped were 2 pullets, at one week...they are now 2 weeks old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  6. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    It's still to early to tell. Give it a couple more weeks and re-post pictures. Folks here will be able to help determine if you've got girls or boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by