choosing Black Australorp chicks for darkest color

cobrien

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Oakland, CA
Hello,
I will getting my first BA chicks in a few weeks. I've noticed from photos of hens that some are darker black/green while others are more of a pale black. Is there any way to tell from the color of a chick if she is more likely to turn out dark black?

Thanks!
Colleen

a pure BA will look black/green and have black/ white legs, if it has white spots above the eyeswhen it is a chick it will be a roo and white tips on its wings. if it is all black when it is a chick it will be a hen . or at least this is the way mine do. william

Oh dear! I guess that means our 2-week old chicks are cockerels and will have to go...sigh
hit.gif

Don't count your Austalorps before they feather out. LOL!

My pullet had white wing tips and lost them before she started laying. The same bird also had a single white spot at the back (corner) of each eye (not above it) as well.

Edited to add: She is now a beautiful full black with green overlay and black legs.

Last edited:
It's still to early to tell. Give it a couple more weeks and re-post pictures. Folks here will be able to help determine if you've got girls or boys.

Back
Top Bottom