Choosing breeds, which ones to cancel. Help me decide.

coffeeaddict

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2014
I have too many hatchery chicks coming. 😅 I need to cancel 4-5 from this order. We want somewhat quiet, good layers. I understand there will be an egg song. Some breeds have been very loud in the past for us, like Speckled Sussex, and since we are in a city we try to avoid excessively loud hens. I enjoy having a rainbow laying flock, but it's not a must have.

Here's my order. I need to remove 4 or 5. Which would you cancel?
1 - California White
2 - Ancona (the one I had in the past was a quiet, excellent layer)
5 - Sapphire Gems/Blue Stars
2 - Olive Eggers
2 - Easter Eggers
3 - Welbar (chosen for dark egg color)
1 - Ideal 236 (is the basically the same as a California White?)

I have too many hatchery chicks coming. 😅 I need to cancel 4-5 from this order. We want somewhat quiet, good layers. I understand there will be an egg song. Some breeds have been very loud in the past for us, like Speckled Sussex, and since we are in a city we try to avoid excessively loud hens. I enjoy having a rainbow laying flock, but it's not a must have.

1 - California White
2 - Olive Eggers
2 - Easter Eggers
I personally would cancel:
California white
2 or 3 sapphire gems
1 welbar

I haven't had a lot of these breeds, and some are quite variable. The noise and other attributes of the olive eggers and easter eggers should vary because of the breeds they use to make them.

I've had sapphire gems before, they were quiet so I'd keep them

I haven't had the cal white, but it being a true breed based on barred rock X leghorn I'd expect a little more noise from that one.

I'd expect the ideal 236 to be a little noisier than the cal white

I'd expect the ancona (being mediterranean) to be the loudest, so I'd imagine your previous one was an exception.

Maybe you should make this a poll?

1 - California White
2 - Olive Eggers
2 - Easter Eggers
I would like to add that generally breeds don't matter in terms of being "quiet". No chickens are quiet, not really sure what you mean.

I would like to add that generally breeds don't matter in terms of being "quiet". No chickens are quiet, not really sure what you mean.
I realize that none will be silent, which is fine. By "somewhat quiet," I just mean no ten minute egg song. I have had hens that would announce an egg briefly and then there have been louder hens that would really announce an egg like an opera singer for a long time and get everyone else going too. Lol. Although I enjoy it, our neighbors get annoyed. The Speckled Sussex I had were lovely birds, but they chattered all the time. Very loudly.

I haven't had a lot of these breeds, and some are quite variable. The noise and other attributes of the olive eggers and easter eggers should vary because of the breeds they use to make them.

I've had sapphire gems before, they were quiet so I'd keep them

I haven't had the cal white, but it being a true breed based on barred rock X leghorn I'd expect a little more noise from that one.

I'd expect the ideal 236 to be a little noisier than the cal white

I'd expect the ancona (being mediterranean) to be the loudest, so I'd imagine your previous one was an exception.

Maybe you should make this a poll?
Great idea. I'll try to figure that out. We've always got our EEs and OEs from the same hatchery. They've always been very quiet. I'll definitely cancel the Ideal 236. That's too bad about the Ancona. I'm sure you are right. Probably will need to cancel those.

Back
Top Bottom