choosing meat birds

Did a batch of CX's earlier. Learned that in our area, I need to get them a month earlier.

Have a batch of Rangers going now. Learned that they would do better if started around april 1st as well.

I will keep doing both.....but will probably move the CX to a fall schedule. The weather and available free range are my two areas I am trying to key in on. This year was another drought striken summer and the pastures look horrible. The heat would have been an issue for CX and reading here shows most avoid a summer run. I lost 2 due to heat but saw them flip and they were mighty tasty LOL! So far, I have only lost 2 FR to heat releated issues (I believe they got stressed and that was that) Every other FR is doing good but I think if they had the spring pasture we would be a bit further ahead on weight, and less feed needed to get where we are now.

Next batch of CX's will be slated for sept 1st delivery, butcher at Holloween. Fall around here will also allow us to buy seasonal feeds as supplements alot cheaper. Deer apples are usually cheap, fall grains targeted for deer hunters are also abundant. They arent usually the preferred feed but used as a supplement I think they will be fine.

Sorry for the rambling, just some observations.

Thank you! It totally has not been hot here. We havent even hit 90 yet, get close, I think one of the warmest days was 88 lol And we moved here beg. of July. Ive been told its a mild summer this year. We have a TON of grass. I have a fully fenced 63.5' x 37.5' garden full of bugs, grass and weeds, that Im going to section a portion off of for these guys, since I wont be gardening in it this year.

Just worried about timing, but maybe if Im careful on their feed, it wont be a big deal at all. Excited about having homegrown chicken in the freezer for sure! I'll definitely be placing the order by end of this month, I just need to find another brooder, since the tent Im using is full of layers right now lol

Saltysteele, I helped my husbands family do chickens once, a few years back, and they had a plucker that they rented. No idea on what type. I want to say they put more then one in at a time, but Im not sure? Ive watched some videos and it just seems the pluckers are faster, but possibly not
smile.png
I guess we'll find out! I do have one place to call to ask, that used to process chickens.

oh, like i said, if you've got an ezplucker or whizzbang type of plucker, no doubt it'd be quicker than by hand.

our plucker is the type that you move the bird over the rotating fingers. with this type, you're not much quicker than by hand. it's a bit easier, but depending on the price of the plucker, it may or may not be worth it
smile.png

the ones where you toss the bird in the drum and turn it on, no way you can pluck that fast by hand!
lol.png

I have yet to butcher my birds, it's coming. I have buff orpingtons. i have been reading up lately on strict meat birds. the recommended housing is to have food in front of them and to deny range feeding or extra running space to increase fat and meat growth. Of course it may save you some money to range them but at a cost of meat building. It's not unheard of, though, and you can sure try it and see how you like it.

Quote:
If you look around in here, you'll see that a lot of them have been somewhat free ranged. Mine will be in a tractor, that I will move around
smile.png
If Im going to raise my own, I want them to be a chicken for the time they are here. Not cooped up and force fed
wink.png
If that makes sense?

Back
Top Bottom