Choosing Rooster

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
I need to give away one of my 2 roosters and I still can't choose which one. They are 19 weeks old. It's humerous watching the social dynamics, but I can't figure out what it means.

We named them big Louie and little Louie since we knew one would go. Ironically there names are now opposite of there actual size.

Little louie was the first to figure out mating. He primary went after my 4 welsumers. Big louie would only go after the pullets who just avoided him. Now big louie has a favorite hen he mates with and he pretty much prevents little louie from mating with anybody by charging him if he tries. Outside of that, they seem to get along great, with no significant fights I have seen. Big louie has taken a beating to his comb and wattle, but I have yet to see how.

Both of them do the mating dance, both of them eat the good treats and try the bribe the hens to come look at a pebble or something.

I was sqauting with my back turned and hand behind my back the other day. I didn't see it, but it felt like little louie tried to spur my hand with his spurless legs. I don't know if if that matters at his age or not.

They both are hard to catch. Little louie is slightly easier. Big louie will hop on a perch next to me and let me pet him if I am holding a pullet he likes.

That's all I got, anything else I should look for?

Last edited:
Hansom fellow. Big louie a number of weeks ago.

Attachments

• PXL_20201113_175303143.jpg
    PXL_20201113_175303143.jpg
    720.8 KB · Views: 7
I was sqauting with my back turned and hand behind my back the other day. I didn't see it, but it felt like little louie tried to spur my hand with his spurless legs. I don't know if if that matters at his age or not.

I've only ever had one rooster and thus haven't had the kind of experience many people here can bring to the discussion, but for me any aggression towards a human would result in inviting the aggressor to be the guest of honor at an arroz con pollo dinner. :)

I have grandchildren.

I need to give away one of my 2 roosters and I still can't choose which one. They are 19 weeks old. It's humerous watching the social dynamics, but I can't figure out what it means.

We named them big Louie and little Louie since we knew one would go. Ironically there names are now opposite of there actual size.

Little louie was the first to figure out mating. He primary went after my 4 welsumers. Big louie would only go after the pullets who just avoided him. Now big louie has a favorite hen he mates with and he pretty much prevents little louie from mating with anybody by charging him if he tries. Outside of that, they seem to get along great, with no significant fights I have seen. Big louie has taken a beating to his comb and wattle, but I have yet to see how.

Both of them do the mating dance, both of them eat the good treats and try the bribe the hens to come look at a pebble or something.

They both are hard to catch. Little louie is slightly easier. Big louie will hop on a perch next to me and let me pet him if I am holding a pullet he likes.

That's all I got, anything else I should look for?
Why do you want a rooster? There are many reasons why people keep them. What is yours?

Just because Little Louie (LL) doesn't have his spurs yet and is only 19 weeks old at his first attack doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It matters. A LOT. He is likely insecure and feeling threatened and/or is over protective. That along with someone new to cockerels is not a good combination. I would remove him from the flock one way or another and then make a decision if BL gets to stay.

Last edited:
Are you SURE he tried to spur you? If he did, that's serious and rehoming could be considered. but you must be 100% sure as others will doubtless encourage culling.

Originally I wanted one to provide some protection for a free range flock. A fox ate half my flock and the rooster, so now they no longer free range and I honestly just like the crowing. I know that's a strange reason:)

Growing up we had a rooster that ended up getting shot after he attacked a little girl. That's my only experience with one.

Are you SURE he tried to spur you? If he did, that's serious and rehoming could be considered. but you must be 100% sure as others will doubtless encourage culling.

I'm not sure. It felt like my hand was wacked from both sides and it certainly wasn't peck. I was spurred quite often as a kid but it's been a long time.

I have tried to turn my back on him and play with the hens like I was doing, but have been unable to get him to do it again.

Send LL packing. He did the old cheap shot attack and flogged you when your back was turned because he wasn't brave enough to attack you when you could see it coming. You may have difficulty finding someone who will take him because there are not many who would willingly take on a cockerel that has already shown human aggression. So the freezer is likely where he will end his journey.

These boys can be rehabilitated. It takes lots of time and patience. I rehabbed my rooster. The only reason I did it instead of culling him by other means is because he had all the qualities I wanted in a rooster and was just too good to give up on and I'm really glad I worked with him.

If you want a cockerel in your flock because you just want one then give BL a try as thus far he's shown no signs of human aggression. But you must know from your past experience that the only thing the boys can really do to try to protect their flocks is to sound predator alerts to give the girls a chance to get to cover. If a fox took some of your flock in the past, it could easily happen again.

Last edited:
A cockerel that is already trying to spur humans at this young age should not be rehomed as this will get worse with age and would endanger other people.

Aggressive roosters/cockerels make a wonderful dinner

What you describe as a pelting from both sides most likely was his first “attack,” definitely a sign of aggression. I am not a fan of rehoming an aggressive bird. Your minor problem could possibly turn into a major one for the next owner. You don’t see many, if any, human aggressive dogs being rehomed...for a good reason. Same with a chicken. Us big people might just receive some scraps and lose a few drops of blood, but a small child could very easily lose an eye, or even worse.

Based on your current experience, it would be easy for me to decide which to keep. Also, I know they are gorgeous, but do you really need a rooster if the birds are securely enclosed?

Back
Top Bottom