Choosing the Best Eggs

The ideal ratio is supposed to be 1.4. A higher number represents a longer egg while a smaller number represents a rounder egg. If you want to play around with your eggs, length / width will give you the ratio of the egg.

Thank you for that information.

I have a number of hens actively laying right now so I ought to have a good 2 dozen to choose from by Tuesday evening even pulling out the obviously wonky ones.

I'm not picky about egg shape, since most of what I get from my birds are normal. I do have a couple that lay torpedoes, & a couple that lay very round eggs.

Sizes, doesn't matter to me, I hatch mixed sizes, & most often they hatch around the same time. Occasionally I'll have early, or late hatches.

Never had problems with eggs that have calcium deposits either. Mine usually only get a few.

I'm not picky about egg shape, since most of what I get from my birds are normal. I do have a couple that lay torpedoes, & a couple that lay very round eggs.

Sizes, doesn't matter to me, I hatch mixed sizes, & most often they hatch around the same time. Occasionally I'll have early, or late hatches.

Never had problems with eggs that have calcium deposits either. Mine usually only get a few.

I have one girl who is a bad layer to begin with and whose eggs can be identified by being weirdly round.

I have one girl who is VERY prone to odd bumps on her eggs (and she's a mediocre layer anyway).

Size matters to me because I hope to sell eggs and to the best of my understanding people here want Large and XL eggs -- for baking without having to alter recipes and for eating -- and reject Medium and Small.

I got a very funny-looking, 63g egg with a sharp point on the narrow end today. I *think* it's the first egg from an adult hen coming out of her molt.

I have one girl who is a bad layer to begin with and whose eggs can be identified by being weirdly round.

I have one girl who is VERY prone to odd bumps on her eggs (and she's a mediocre layer anyway).

Size matters to me because I hope to sell eggs and to the best of my understanding people here want Large and XL eggs -- for baking without having to alter recipes and for eating -- and reject Medium and Small.

I got a very funny-looking, 63g egg with a sharp point on the narrow end today. I *think* it's the first egg from an adult hen coming out of her molt.
My egg customers don't care about egg size, except the small, & peewee.

But if egg size matters to you, then only choose the largest eggs from those particular birds, & see if their offspring produces eggs of similar size, or larger. And just breed for that trait.

Back
Top Bottom