Choosing the correct food

Pics

thatssewmimi

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
We have chicks that are 12 weeks and laying hens that are almost a year old. When can we integrate them and start feeding them the same food. My husband and I argue over whether we need to be feeding the laying hens layer food or All Flock. Can someone tell me what brand of All Flock they use and when we can start the younger chicks on it?

We have chicks that are 12 weeks and laying hens that are almost a year old. When can we integrate them and start feeding them the same food. My husband and I argue over whether we need to be feeding the laying hens layer food or All Flock. Can someone tell me what brand of All Flock they use and when we can start the younger chicks on it?
All Flock is a brand in and of itself. So is Flock Raiser. Either would be appropriate for your flock. Chicks can eat it as soon as they come out of the shell. Just make sure you have a container or two of oyster shell available for the laying birds and you're done. Good for life.

You argue about this?
Layer feed has the minimum amount of protein chickens require (%16), most people feed All Flock or Flock Raiser, both have about %17-%18 protein and supply oyster shell so they can eat it as they need.
I feed the highest amount of protein feed at the lowest price I can get and supply oyster shell, this month, my chickens eat chick feed.

We have chicks that are 12 weeks and laying hens that are almost a year old. When can we integrate them and start feeding them the same food.
At 12 weeks old you could feed a Starter-Grower feed or an All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed. 18 to 20% Protein with a container of Oyster Shells for the Hens.
When the Chicks/Pullets start laying you could switch to a Layers feed if you want.
If you have different breeds of Chicks wait till one of each breed is laying before switching.

Myself I feed a Starter-Grower feed 18% to all ages with a container of Oyster Shells separately.
I feed Chicks a Medicated Start and Grow 18% till 10 weeks old. GC

Last edited:
You argue about this?
Layer feed has the minimum amount of protein chickens require (%16), most people feed All Flock or Flock Raiser, both have about %17-%18 protein and supply oyster shell so they can eat it as they need.
I feed the highest amount of protein feed at the lowest price I can get and supply oyster shell, this month, my chickens eat chick feed.
I plan to use 25% Kalmbach 122P 44% poultry supplement and 75% corn which should have about 16.5% Protein. In addition my just started laying pullets will have access to crashed egg shells and oyster shells as much they want.

My Question is how much of such feed I need to give per each chicken per day.

So far I gave them grower medicated feed to eat as much as they want.

thanks

At 12 weeks old you could feed a Starter-Grower feed or an All-Flock/Flock Raiser feed. 18 to 20% Protein with a container of Oyster Shells for the Hens.
When the Chicks/Pullets start laying you could switch to a Layers feed if you want.
If you have different breeds of Chicks wait till one of each breed is laying before switching.

Myself I feed a Starter-Grower feed 18% to all ages with a container of Oyster Shells separately.
I feed Chicks a Medicated Start and Grow 18% till 10 weeks old. GC
How much of your starter-grower feed you give per each chicken per day?

How much of your starter-grower feed you give per each chicken per day?
I have feed and water available in the coops 24/7.
20210704_102527.jpg
20201209_051302.jpg

I don't restrict feed. My chickens eat about 3.5 ounces of feed each by weight during the summer and about 5 ounces during the winter.
I do give a couple of Tbsps of Scratch Grains daily except during hot weather (over 80 F/27 C) when I cut back on Scratch by half. GC

I have feed and water available in the coops 24/7.View attachment 2778317View attachment 2778320
I don't restrict feed. My chickens eat about 3.5 ounces of feed each by weight during the summer and about 5 ounces during the winter.
I do give a couple of Tbsps of Scratch Grains daily except during hot weather (over 80 F/27 C) when I cut back on Scratch by half. GC
I asked a wrong question. I also give my 4 months old pullets starter-grower feed as much they want to eat.

My question is how much of the layer type feed they should get per day. I wonder if they would not get too fat (which can’t be good for chicken plus is more expensive) if they have available food 24/7.

Last edited:
I asked a wrong question. I also give my 4 months old pullets starter-grower feed as much they want to eat.

My question is how much of the layer type feed they should get per day. I wonder if they would not get too fat (which can’t be good for chicken plus is more expensive) if they have available food 24/7.
Most chickens can moderate their diet just fine. They should have feed, whether grower or layer, available when they're awake.

Back
Top Bottom