Chopped up grapes - HUGE hit. How about cherry tomatoes? are they ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, Apr 14, 2009.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    In my never-ending quest to find treats to entertain the chicks, I've found that yogurt, chopped-up hard-boiled egg, dry Quaker oats and chopped-up seedless grapes are HUGE HUGE HUGE hits with my 3-week-old chicks. [​IMG]

I just looked in the fridge and have a container of cherry tomatoes that are looking a bit wrinkled. Not moldy... just a bit past their time. I'm wondering if I can feed these to 3-week-olds.

Any ideas?

BTW, I posted on the Feeding and Watering board asking for a chick treat chart, but haven't had any biters - LOL (pun intended).

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Go for it!

3. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    My chickens all love tomatoes of any type, cooked or raw. I haven't feed chicks or really young chickens any before, but I would think not too much would be fine. In the old days when my grandmother raised chickens, she never even thought about it, the biddies got whatever the adults received as food and most made it just fine.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  4. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Mine absolutely LOVE tomatoes. I throw the grape ones in the yard and watch them chase them as they roll down the hill, its awesome!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by