Is This The Truth?

There are a bunch of these lists around.

Not too long ago, someone here posted a link to a century old chicken raising book. Through the whole book it was stressed how important it is to add milk and/or meat scraps to the diet to provide adequaet protein.

Why aren't apple turnovers, Milky Way Bars, tobacco and Cheetos on the list? Why aren't my chickens dead already?

Eat and drink everything in moderation.

Last edited:
Who would feed chickens an avocado pit? And could a chicken actually eat one? I mean, really? "Oh look, a seed bigger than my head! Gulp! Oh, gag, it's stuck .... gaaaah!" Croak. Now see, we TOLD you not to feed your chickens avocado pits! You never listen! :old
Agreed…it’s like people confuse what a chicken WON’T eat with what they CAN’T eat.

My chickens have access to avocado all the time in my compost setup. They eat the flesh, but avoid the peels…and of course the pits are too big and hard for them to eat. Same with citrus peels and onions…not that those things will kill them…they just won’t eat them.

BTW…the local squirrels LOVE avocado. I see them running all over carrying them. Doesn’t seem to dent the local squirrel population any!

I have to ad to all this that every fall I would pull up the tomato plants and throw the whole pile in the chicken run for them to pick over. They ate the tomatoes not the plant. I think they are pretty good at avoiding poisonous things. But then I've also watched a chicken choke on a chunk of lettuce so...maybe it depends on the chicken :lol: :lol:

On your "no" list, I find several tidbids that I do allow my birds to have without ill effect. apple core (because I feed whole apples), avocado because the neighbor's tree overhangs in my yard and the birds have access to everything that hits the ground, tuna because it's cheap here and a high quality protein supplement, COOKED pinto beans (cooks out the bad stuff)... and several other items on your list.
Some items need to be examined more closely to determine why they'd be on the no-go list (like apple cores is due to the apple seeds, which typically pass through their digestion unscathed if they're not cut seed).

On your "no" list, I find several tidbids that I do allow my birds to have without ill effect. apple core (because I feed whole apples), avocado because the neighbor's tree overhangs in my yard and the birds have access to everything that hits the ground, tuna because it's cheap here and a high quality protein supplement, COOKED pinto beans (cooks out the bad stuff)... and several other items on your list.
Some items need to be examined more closely to determine why they'd be on the no-go list (like apple cores is due to the apple seeds, which typically pass through their digestion unscathed if they're not cut seed).
Same, I was just wondering. I feed my chooks scraps all the time and none of them have died.

No it's not the truth.
There is can't eat and possibly shouldn't eat. They are often different.
Dairy for example. Chickens love cheese, yogurt and milk. Small quantities of these will not harm chickens and will do them some good in the right quantities.
They will also thrive on meat, eat grapes pips and all to site a couple more that are technically wrong.

Hi just wondering if what this chart says is true.
TreatCan Chickens Eat
AcornsNo
AlmondsYes
Apple CoresNo
Apple PeelsYes
Apple SeedsNo
ApplesYes
ArugulaYes
AsparagusYes
AvocadoNo
Baked PotatoesYes
Banana PeelsYes
BananasYes
Bean SproutsYes
BeansYes
Beet GreensYes
Beet LeavesYes
BeetsYes
Bell PeppersYes
BlackberriesYes
BlueberriesYes
BreadYes
BroccoliYes
Brown RiceYes
Brussels SproutsYes
ButterNo
CabbageYes
CantaloupeYes
Cantaloupe RindsYes
Cantaloupe SeedsYes
CarrotsYes
CashewsYes
Cat FoodYes
CauliflowerYes
CeleryYes
CerealYes
CheeseYes
CherriesYes
Cherry PitsNo
Chia SeedsYes
ChickenYes
ChocolateNo
Chocolate CakeNo
CinnamonYes
CitrusYes
CoconutYes
Coffee GroundsNo
Cooked BeansYes
Cooked OatmealYes
Cooked Pinto BeansYes
Cooked PotatoesYes
Cooked RiceYes
CornYes
Corn HusksYes
Corn On The CobYes
CricketsYes
Cucumber PeelsYes
CucumbersYes
DairyNo
DatesNo
Dog FoodYes
Dry OatmealYes
Dry RiceNo
EarthwormsYes
EggplantNo
EggsYes
FishYes
FlowersYes
French FriesNo
FruitYes
GarlicYes
Ginger RootYes
Goat FeedYes
GrapefruitYes
GrapesYes
Grapes With SeedsNo
GrassYes
Green BeansYes
Green OnionsYes
Green PeppersYes
Green TomatoesYes
HamYes
Hot PeppersYes
KaleYes
KiwiYes
Kiwi SkinYes
LeeksNo
LentilsNo
LettuceYes
MangoYes
Mango SkinYes
MarshmallowsNo
Mashed PotatoesYes
MealwormsYes
MeatYes
Meat ScrapsNo
MelonYes
Moldy BreadNo
NectarinesYes
NutsYes
OatmealYes
OatsYes
OlivesNo
OnionsNo
Orange PeelsYes
OrangesYes
PastaYes
Pea PodsYes
Peach SkinsYes
PeachesYes
Peanut ButterYes
Peanut ShellsYes
PeanutsNo
PearsYes
PeasYes
PecansYes
PeppersYes
PicklesNo
PineappleYes
Pinto BeansNo
PlumsYes
PomegranateYes
Pomegranate SeedsYes
PopcornYes
Popcorn KernelsYes
Popped PopcornYes
Potato PeelingsYes
Potato PeelsYes
Potato SkinsYes
PotatoesYes
PumpkinYes
Pumpkin SeedsYes
QuinoaYes
Radish GreensYes
Radish LeavesYes
RadishesYes
RaisinsYes
RaspberriesYes
Raw BroccoliYes
Raw CabbageYes
Raw CarrotsYes
Raw CornYes
Raw EggplantYes
Raw FishYes
Raw Green BeansNo
Raw MeatYes
Raw PotatoesYes
Raw PumpkinYes
RhubarbNo
Rhubarb LeavesNo
RiceYes
Rolled OatsYes
ShrimpYes
Shrimp ShellsYes
SoybeansNo
Spaghetti SquashYes
SpinachYes
SquashYes
StrawberriesYes
Sugar Snap PeasYes
Sunflower SeedsYes
Sweet Potato SkinsYes
Sweet PotatoesYes
Tomato PlantsNo
TomatoesYes
TunaNo
Uncooked OatmealYes
WalnutsYes
WatermelonYes
Watermelon RindYes
Watermelon SeedsYes
WheatYes
WormsYes
YogurtYes
ZucchiniYes
It's a bit long... :oops: sorry and thank you!

It's
I’ve looked at food charts before, and most of it seems correct except for beans. Beans are highly toxic for chickens. A specially kidney beans.

Mine get meat scraps (usually egg and chicken, sometimes beef) and apple cores. I don't know if they eat the seeds or not during that, but the core isn't any different than the flesh besides being a bit firmer.

Umm, acorns, I know ducks can eat.
Whenever I give my chickens the apple core, they eat around the seeds which might be a sign that they might not like them.

Back
Top Bottom