Need ideas

Sophia V

Chirping
Jul 16, 2022
I have 3 pullets, about 3.5 months old. In addition to their feed, Scratch & Peck, I have tried various fresh foods; green cabbage(hung & chopped), carrots & carrots greens (chopped & whole), lettuce (chopped & hung), Peas, green beans, turnip greens, mustard greens, blueberries, strawberries,, watermelon, apples, Oatmeal raw and cooked & herbs etc.

My pullets do not like or eat any of it. They like kale & corn. They only eat the seeds out of zuchinni & squash. They like frozen grapes and pomegranates. I'm running out of ideas. They like spaghetti, their scratch which is a medley of grains & cracked corn. Mealworms(sometimes), sunflower & pumpkin seeds, and occasionally pork.

I know these are healthy, is it detrimental to not give them a larger variety?

Do any of you fellow Chicken friends have other ideas?

If they don't eat it, no point in giving it to them. No matter how healthy the treats are, it still takes away from the nutrition of the feed the should be getting and the treats they like aren't good for them. Stick with the feed only and limit treats to once a week. How long have they been on the scratch and peck and is it the grower?

My chickens love the earthworms, grasshoppers, and crickets that I get out of my yard. They get all excited when they see me turning over rocks because they know it means worms. lol Also, it sounds silly but you should try making the tidbitting noise that roosters make while picking up and dropping a piece of whatever goody you have. Whether they eat it or not, chickens are hard-wired to understand the "food call."
No matter how healthy the treats are, it still takes away from the nutrition of the feed the should be getting and the treats they like aren't good for them.
Agreed. Over time, eating too much scratch and even healthy treats can lead to reduced egg laying, thin eggshells, fat buildup...etc.

My chickens love the earthworms, grasshoppers, and crickets that I get out of my yard. They get all excited when they see me turning over rocks because they know it means worms. lol Also, it sounds silly but you should try making the tidbitting noise that roosters make while picking up and dropping a piece of whatever goody you have. Whether they eat it or not, chickens are hard-wired to understand the "food call."
:goodpost: I trained my last batch to come when I made tidbitting noises, this bunch just stare at me...'no hablamos polluelo, senorita.' But they're learning!

I do find that younger chickens don't care as much about treats as older, so just hang tight they'll get into it some enough. But also, unless you are making your own feed (which is very difficult,) then what they need is commercial feed. They don't "NEED," any of the things you've listed. It just sounds like something is backwards that you're worried about them not eating in excess of commercial feed. So I hope it's a relief to you that you really DON'T need to wrack your brain and waste your good food on them. :idunno

Are they not even eating the S&P chicken feed? If they're eating their chicken feed, the other stuff isn't really necessary. If they're NOT eating their feed, then that's a bigger problem!
They are eating their feed a little. I ferment. They the fresh food they like.

If they don't eat it, no point in giving it to them. No matter how healthy the treats are, it still takes away from the nutrition of the feed the should be getting and the treats they like aren't good for them. Stick with the feed only and limit treats to once a week. How long have they been on the scratch and peck and is it the grower?
Yes, grower blend. And they have been eating it for 2 months. I began fermenting their food about a month ago

Back
Top Bottom