1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Christmas Eve dinner vent!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by AhBee01, Dec 24, 2009.

1. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    It just sucks that you plan a family dinner that we have every year,same time, been doing it since I was born.
    Days of cooking, baking, setting up and decorating the cabin, and everyone shows up, and is gone in an hour and a half. It just breaks my heart.
    Just when I got done getting everything done, everyone was gone!
    Oh well, Merry Christmas,
    Brenda

2. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Sorry for you. Life now is so fast paced. Did they have to spread themselves with in-laws?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ah man that sucks. I can't get rid of anyone around here. I think no one knows how to cook and twice a year they get a good meal. They (11 people) ate a freakin 22 lb turkey and 8 dozen cookies on Thanksgiving. I can only imagine what is gonna happen to the ham I have.....

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] My family is the same way. That is why I quit having holidays here. There would eat and eat and eat and never want to leave. I would have to cook some more because they stayed almost through two mealtimes. [​IMG]

5. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    We have a traditional Slovak dinner. We have changed the time to a little earlier some my bro. and his wife can come before church. Everyone knows that we do it the same time every year. I few went to see a cousin that doesn't come to our dinner, but knows we have it the same time, so I'm not sure why they wanted to rush over there, and not stay a bit like they always do. My mom rented the cabin as we did last year so my Brother and his wife would come, that is another story. It was just a waste to me! My Mom and I worked our butts off, and feel like everyone came, ate got their gifts and left.
    It was just a lot of work, and Mom and I feel a little used! It used to be such a special night. I'm just feeling a little blue about it, I won't let it spoil my Christmas. I just don't want the tradition to die. It has been going on in my family since my Mom and Aunt were children, has been passed down at least 3 generations! Just sad to see it dying. Like this generation doesn't stop and smell the roses so to speak!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] My family is the same way. That is why I quit having holidays here. There would eat and eat and eat and never want to leave. I would have to cook some more because they stayed almost through two mealtimes. [​IMG]

Let me reiterate that I really do love having these people over. Its just that they eat SOOOOO much!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's just because you are such a good cook Deb.

8. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    My brother paid for us to all go out to a very nice restaurant. [​IMG] Hooray for having an overly generous baby brother.

Tonight we are having slow cooked ribs.

We always do simple meals for Christmas but delicious. One year we had steaks. I just find that I am less stress on Christmas if we keep everything simple and skip the large traditional dinner. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry to read of your disappointment.We don't do anything on eve except open one present....well ds does.On a main holiday if my dh was able to get home I cook(nothing major) and then we watch a movie.After that family usually leaves....just 2 people.If dh isn't home I either bump the holiday over,or celebrate 2 times.Hoping today is a better day for you!

10. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I always say that I cook for 2 days so people can eat for 5 minutes. It's just rude and ignorant I think. I say we are the microwave generation. Everything has to be done in micro-seconds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by