Christmas is coming early Hatch-A-Long!

Pics
I have never gone where you are about to go, :lau but if I were going to drive eggs 3 hours too pop into my incubator... View attachment 3697635 :gig

I would bring an egg carton to put the eggs in and find some sort of insulating bag to put the carton in to retain heat. I have this hot/cold bag I got from Walmart years ago and it really holds in the cold or heat. If you have any of those Hot Hands things, throw them in there too. After putting these in the bag, I'd wrap the bag in a blanket. Be extremely delicate the entire time, set them on the back seat and leave them there till you get home. Now keep in mind, the jiggling of the road could cause air bubbles just as normal shipping does with shipped eggs. Its possible some of these embryos could quit because of the movement. I don't think being out of the incubator will hurt anything, hens often get off the nest for hours and eggs go cold. Its the jiggling that concerns me. When you get home, if the eggs are the least bit warm, I'd let them rest on the counter, in the bag, for an hour before putting them in the incubator, just to let things settle. I would skip candling for a day or so just so there is less stress on the embryos. If they are going to quit, it will probably be a day or two later.

You will need these to get through this.... :hugs
Oops, I replied before I saw your post @TwoCrows. This will be perfect! :love

I have never gone where you are about to go, :lau but if I were going to drive eggs 3 hours too pop into my incubator... View attachment 3697635 :gig

I would bring an egg carton to put the eggs in and find some sort of insulating bag to put the carton in to retain heat. I have this hot/cold bag I got from Walmart years ago and it really holds in the cold or heat. If you have any of those Hot Hands things, throw them in there too. After putting these in the bag, I'd wrap the bag in a blanket. Be extremely delicate the entire time, set them on the back seat and leave them there till you get home. Now keep in mind, the jiggling of the road could cause air bubbles just as normal shipping does with shipped eggs. Its possible some of these embryos could quit because of the movement. I don't think being out of the incubator will hurt anything, hens often get off the nest for hours and eggs go cold. Its the jiggling that concerns me. When you get home, if the eggs are the least bit warm, I'd let them rest on the counter, in the bag, for an hour before putting them in the incubator, just to let things settle. I would skip candling for a day or so just so there is less stress on the embryos. If they are going to quit, it will probably be a day or two later.

You will need these to get through this.... :hugs
I keep re-reading your first line, and repeating to myself, snap out of it! Then laughing, because it's too late 😏

I should have named this "Watch Tink Do Risky Things Hatch-a-long", I guess this isn't at all a normal Hatch-a-long, but thanks for sticking this one out, hopefully my next one will be more normal. 😉

Risky thing #1: try to hatch fancy bred silkie eggs that hung out in a cold coop for an unknown number of days - success rate 3/14 developing

Risky thing #2: add 6 eggs from my flock that were 1 to 2 weeks old and then the next day add 3 more fresh laid eggs when the cockerels had been rehomed 2 weeks prior - success rate, 4/9 developing

Risky thing #4: Of course since 1 of the 2 white silkie eggs where developing, why not add any and all of the other silkie eggs from the egg basket and see what happenes!?! 7 silkie eggs added on 12/1, I expected maybe another 2 or 3 to develop, these are eggs laid 2 weeks before being set, no special care, just Willy-nilly in the basket and likely laid at least a week after the cockerels were gone - success? 6/7 developing 😲

Risky thing #5: agreeing to buy 6 started splash silkie eggs that are 3 hours away - success? TBD!

Name those eggs post shortly! I think especially those splash silkie eggs need names and some serious cheering on!

All the eggs below are showing development!

Fancy silkies:
5. Jovie - @Shabby Chic-Hens
9. Star - @Sally PB
11. Eggnog - @tlcmurphy

White silkies
a. Cotton Ball - @chickens105
Set 12/1
b. Hioni - @fluffycrow
c. Candy Cane #2 - @The Welch Chickens
d. Fruitcake - @GreenJay & @TwoCrows
e. Frosty - work bestie 🤣
f.
g.

EE x white silkie
A. Grinch - @ElfenLied89
B. Max 2.0 - @GreenJay

SLW x white silkie
C. Noel - @TwoCrows

Splash silkies I'm picking up Friday:
1. Ivy - @Chive
2. Hope Too - @Debbie292d

I would happily re-use some of the wonderful Christmas names proposed that were clears or quitters, feel free to claim a new egg and use the same name or pick a new name!

@21hens-incharge
@CrazyChickLady64
@Patiocoturnix
@The Welch Chickens
@fluffycrow
@Chive
@Hundo (come join my crazy hatch-a-long, pick an egg, give it a great name and then cheer it on to hatch!)

Last edited:
All the eggs below are showing development!

Fancy silkies:
5. Jovie - @Shabby Chic-Hens
9. Star - @Sally PB
11. Eggnog - @tlcmurphy

White silkies
a. Cotton Ball - @chickens105
Set 12/1
b.
c.
d.
e.
f.
g.

EE x white silkie
A. Grinch - @ElfenLied89
B. Max 2.0 - @GreenJay

SLW x white silkie
C. Noel - @TwoCrows

Splash silkies I'm picking up Friday:

I would happily re-use some of the wonderful Christmas names proposed that were clears or quitters, feel free to claim a new egg and use the same name or pick a new name!

@21hens-incharge
@CrazyChickLady64
@Patiocoturnix
@The Welch Chickens
@GreenJay
@fluffycrow
@ChickyCh00k
@Debbie292d
@Chive
@Hundo (come join my crazy hatch-a-long, pick an egg, give it a great name and then cheer it on to hatch!)
I’ll just follow not the greatest with cheating I get so many notifications that I lose it every time. Thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom