Christmas is comming. Please don't give pets for gifts.

I know eh, I was 'given' a horse for christmas when I was 13, but what I really mean is we leased him for 3 months and my parents officially bought him on christmas for me.

accio! chickens :

was about 100lbs and had no control over that animal.

Weather your 100 pounds or 500 pounds you do not control a Belgian. It chooses to lessen to you if it is trained good but you do not control it.​

Quote:
Weather your 100 pounds or 500 pounds you do not control a Belgian. It chooses to lessen to you if it is trained good but you do not control it.

By control I mean, she couldn't even get her legs half way round the horses barrel. When she was up there, it was like watching a baby on the back of a regular sized horse. She wouldn't have been able to give correct leg aids at all. Shame was it was a distress sale and they only wanted 700, she was a lovely ride but enormous. These people bought her for 500 and sold her for 300.

Its weird to me if you have an animal you can't care for it why dump it? Just take it to animal welfare groups.

Not all areas are so liberal. Here in Walker County there is a $50 fee if you bring an animal to the county/SPCA/Humane Society--even if it is just a stray that you found on side of the road! Which means, of course, that nobody takes them in. Instead they are left to wander until hit by a car, killed by another animal, or they starve to death. It is pitiful the number of carcasses you see here along the side of the road. Makes my dogs all the more precious to me.

Rusty​

WHAT? But I want chicks! Well, since I know how to take care of them (I used to have chicks), have been reading on chicken care for nine months, and Santa Claus is magic anyway and could probably give you anything, I guess I can ask for chicks.
roll.png

Quote:
Not all areas are so liberal. Here in Walker County there is a $50 fee if you bring an animal to the county/SPCA/Humane Society--even if it is just a stray that you found on side of the road! Which means, of course, that nobody takes them in. Instead they are left to wander until hit by a car, killed by another animal, or they starve to death. It is pitiful the number of carcasses you see here along the side of the road. Makes my dogs all the more precious to me.

Rusty

Even if you can take an animal to a shelter, the chances of it being adopted? Not fantastic, just a lonely cell pre-euthanasia...

If you're getting/giving a pet for christmas.. discuss it with the receiving party, and then wait till 2 weeks after christmas, and pick up a stray puppy from the shelter from one of those less educated families!!

Okay. You are all going to think that I was a mean 19 year old girl. Just don't throw eggs at me for this story, okay.

I didn't date until I was 18 and the first boy I dated immediately became my fiance.
roll.png
Anyway, my little dog had died. I was distraught.

I began looking at puppies and saying that eventually I would get another one. But I did not bring any puppies home. The reason being is that logically, I knew that I could not afford a puppy. Also, I had less time to care for a new pet. I knew all this and was speaking out with emotion, but had no intent to get a dog.

I suppose my then boyfriend assumed that he could fix my sadness. I had taken him along to look at some puppies, after all. Of course, I had never gotten any of those cute little balls of fur and had said that I couldn't afford to care for them. So, he knew why I wasn't bringing any home.

He brought me a puppy as a surprise. I was not happy. In fact, I was angry. If I got a puppy, I wanted to pick it out myself. The puppy was going to be a big dog, something that I didn't want. The boy tried to tell me that it was part Taco Bell Dog(I know the breed, I just don't know how to spell it) It was not. Plus it was very lethargic. I told him to take the puppy back. He said that he did.

Months later, his mother blessed me out for not appreciating that cute little puppy.

He hadn't told me that the puppy had died that night. His mother did. I guess that she was trying to make me feel guilty but I could tell that there was something wrong with the puppy that I couldn't afford to fix.

Quote:

Rusty

Even if you can take an animal to a shelter, the chances of it being adopted? Not fantastic, just a lonely cell pre-euthanasia...

If you're getting/giving a pet for christmas.. discuss it with the receiving party, and then wait till 2 weeks after christmas, and pick up a stray puppy from the shelter from one of those less educated families!!

It is better to either take an animal to the shelter so that it gets put down then to allow it to starve. I have known people who take on too many pets, that they can't afford to care for, because they are afraid that the stray would be put to sleep if they take it to the shelter. Chances are it will, but that is better then either starving on the street or being with someone who can't afford to care for them anyway.

If you can't afford to pay the medical bills of the stray that you find, take it to the shelter.

Quote:
If the point of giving you a pup was because you were sad about your dog passing it makes no sense to give you a dog that was so sick it was in the process of dying. If the dog was "fixable" and his momma had such a big heart why didn't she take it to the vet. More than likely the poor pup was past the point of saving by then. You'll get no eggs thrown by me.

Quote:
If the point of giving you a pup was because you were sad about your dog passing it makes no sense to give you a dog that was so sick it was in the process of dying. If the dog was "fixable" and his momma had such a big heart why didn't she take it to the vet. More than likely the poor pup was past the point of saving by then. You'll get no eggs thrown by me.

Thanks. I have had a couple of people tell me that I was mean when I told them that story. But I really couldn't afford another pet.

I did not marry the young man, a fact that I am eternally grateful for.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom