Christmas Miracle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by olemotherhen, Dec 26, 2010.

1. olemotherhen

olemotherhen New Egg

Dec 26, 2010
    I need help! One of my Silver Laced Wyandotte's was chased by a neighbors cat in October. I found a mound of tail feathers in my front yard. I looked for two days for her and nothing. Two months later, another distant neighbor knocked on my door and said she found my chicken. I went and got her. Wow! how she survived this Michigan cold, and all the stray dogs and cats in the area, I'll never know. And to think I got her back on Christmas. But she is very thin and her left foot is curled and she is limping on it. I put her back in the coop with the other girls (no roosters). She gobbled food like crazy. You could tell she was very hungry and cold. But the other girls kept pecking at her backside where she is missing feathers. She acts like she just wants me to hold her, like she really missed me. Of course I have been doing that. I put her in a separate pen with her own food and water dishes, and a little nest heater. But now she just sits in a corner and seems sad. She was happy to be back home in the coop. Should I keep her from the others until she gets stronger and gets her feathers back, or put her back in coop where she seem happy? I think she just doesn't want to be alone right now. I even thought about bringing her into the house in a small pen until spring? Any thoughts out there?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Just my .02, but I'd bring her in the house at least until the backside was healed and maybe long enough to get a good idea of what's going on with the foot. (injury? could it be "booted" or splinted in some way to help her walk on it better? does it have a sore or a possible infection in it?) She may not be as sad as she appears; she may just be relieved to finally be warm and protected and back home where she is safe. I'm glad you got your baby back, and hope she recovers completely and integrates back into the flock once her bum is no longer bare. [​IMG]

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    That is unbelievable. I can't believe it really. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is so awesome, and x2 what crtlrlovr said........[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  5. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    Bring her in, give her mash, treats etc. Keep an eye on her, as she relaxes, more symptoms might develop, or she might just be so tired. Some electrolites to help her along might be good also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by