Chronic shell-less eggs

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I have been getting shell-less eggs for 2 years now. I haven’t pinpointed the hen or hens responsible but tonight I went out there and a hen was off the roost and on the poop board (sorry for the poopy pic) and she seemed to have just laid this gross looking soft shelled egg. Is this genetic or something else? I constantly see evidence of shell-less eggs and broken eggs in the nesting box. My other eggs are all hard shelled and in great condition. About 2 months ago a lash egg was laid on the the poop board as well, could the 2 issues be related?
Yes, my chickens always have access to oyster shell. They are fed Nutrena All Flock due to my roosters also eating the feed.

BD987097-4BF7-4755-A73A-332B7770A2CA.jpeg

Some more info if helpful:
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Home grown Easter Egger (Wheaten Ameraucana x Novogen) 2years old. No, she feels fine.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
see above

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
up to 1year

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
possibly

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
no

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
yes
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Watery poop all around the soft shelled egg

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
nothing. I wasn’t 100% sure who it was until tonight

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I can treat myself or cull if needed.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
see above photo

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
8x12 shed type coop, covered run, with access to pasture area. 30 hens and 3 roosters.

Last edited:
do you have more than one hen laying eggs with out shells?
How many?
Are they all the same type, homegrown , same cross?
They all have free choice oyster shells, correct?

A lash egg would be a concern in that there's a problem in the oviduct causing infection and inflammation.

If you see broken eggs in the nest box with the shell, there might be other hens pecking the shells breaking them open. If you dont see the shell, they are eating it.
Vitamin D helps with calcium absorption.

A lash egg would be a concern in that there's a problem in the oviduct causing infection and inflammation.

If you see broken eggs in the nest box with the shell, there might be other hens pecking the shells breaking them open. If you dont see the shell, they are eating it.
Vitamin D helps with calcium absorption.
I fully expect to see a sick chicken at some point from the lash egg. I have 30 hens/pullets and don’t know who passed it.
Yes, The hens eat any shell-less eggs. I see them dash out of the coop with pieces in their mouth. I also find just the outer membrane dried on the coop floor occasionally.
I’ll be ordering Fertrells Breeder supplement soon to help with anything lacking in my feed. I’ll make sure it has plenty of D. But I’ve heard good things about this supplement.

do you have more than one hen laying eggs with out shells?
How many?
Are they all the same type, homegrown , same cross?
They all have free choice oyster shells, correct?
I haven’t pinpointed who was laying the shell-less eggs until now. I know she can lay a regular egg because I only have 4 green layers and I’ve gotten 4 green eggs recently. All my birds are home hatched. I have Wheaten Marans and Wheaten Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers from my own cross with Ameraucanas and Sexlinks. They have free choice Nutrena and oyster shell, grit, and controlled free range time.

I'm not a lot of help, but I do have a hen that is quite similar. She is an AmeraucanaXLeghorn mutt that lays XXL eggs. She needs a lot of calcium to keep any kind of shell on them and usually they stop having enough shell to be safe for consumption around the end of May when her calcium reserves from winter are emptied. I'd suggest giving tumms and seeing if that helps, but I'm not sure it's practical to do that for that many birds

I'm not a lot of help, but I do have a hen that is quite similar. She is an AmeraucanaXLeghorn mutt that lays XXL eggs. She needs a lot of calcium to keep any kind of shell on them and usually they stop having enough shell to be safe for consumption around the end of May when her calcium reserves from winter are emptied. I'd suggest giving tumms and seeing if that helps, but I'm not sure it's practical to do that for that many birds
My girls have tons of Oyster shell freely available that they do go through surprisingly quickly.

On a sad note, the EE that was suspected of laying shell-less eggs seems to have taken a turn for the worse. I think she is also the one that passed the lash egg, I found her off the roost last night and she seems slightly off tonight. I have also separated another hen that I suspect lays thin shelled eggs as well.

I’m determined to get to the bottom of this!

I have a similar situation except I am going on 18 months with my Ameracauna. Only about 1 in 6 eggs is laid in the nestbox and actually viable. Like clockwork, the rest are dropped where ever is convenient for her every two days. They usually have very, very thin shells. She gets layer feed, free choice oyster shell, and she is the only 1 of 5 who is like this. We have tried no treats at all, doesn't help. Someone remarked earlier that your hen is a dud. Perhaps we both have duds. I take consolation in that. Easier to know it is just her way than to think I have done or not done something.

My girl is happy and silly and makes me smile. I can stand to have one less producer.

I have a similar situation except I am going on 18 months with my Ameracauna. Only about 1 in 6 eggs is laid in the nestbox and actually viable. Like clockwork, the rest are dropped where ever is convenient for her every two days. They usually have very, very thin shells. She gets layer feed, free choice oyster shell, and she is the only 1 of 5 who is like this. We have tried no treats at all, doesn't help. Someone remarked earlier that your hen is a dud. Perhaps we both have duds. I take consolation in that. Easier to know it is just her way than to think I have done or not done something.

My girl is happy and silly and makes me smile. I can stand to have one less producer.
What variety of Ameraucana is she?

Back
Top Bottom