Chronic Vent Prolapse - Can she live like that?

leela2012

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
San Jose
Our 3 year old Bantam Mille Fleur is having prolapse issues. She didn't lay at all last year and hardly anything before that, and now all of a sudden she is trying every day. It seems she eventually lays one egg every 3 days or so, once she can get it out, but all the while her prolapse is hanging out. I have done every treatment I can find, from Prep H to sugar, to calcium supplements, etc. This is just repeating every time. She doesn't seem to be in too much pain, she is eating and drinking...but is this something they can live with? I would hate to put her down, because she is such a happy bird. Any advice? Once she lays the egg, (there is usually a little blood on it) her prolapse goes back in. :( I tried warm baths, witch hazel, I am just at a loss. She is such a cute little happy girl.

And why is she all of a sudden laying at 3 years old? I gave up on her a while ago, thinking maybe she just couldn't lay....weird....

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
You could get her to not lay any more by either spaying her or getting a hormone shot 3 times a year from a vet. She can also be stopped laying by providing darkness for 16 hours a day which is how prolapse is treated (to make them stop laying for awhile.) Sorry about your hen, Mille's are such cuties--I have a pair that just hang out all day when the hen isn't broody. She is brooding a golf ball now.

Top Bottom