Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Last time I did CX I was all about the meat! Feeding a teenager here so was very happy with 6.5 to 8.5lb dressed birds. I paid for the processing too, about $2.00 per bird, but found I could get a 7.5 lb dressed bird for only $10 all in all. Given the teenager's bottomless stomach that was really good.

If my new trials with the Red Rangers mixed with my flock birds can get me towards the 5lb mark, I will be happy. While I won't have the cost of the processing now (and I totally think the $2.00 per bird was well worth it!) I'm still feeding a teenager.

I wish I had a processor nearby.

Yes, you are! I've seen your plates of food! Not to mention you are as as tall as the Jolly Green Giant. 🤭
:lau yuppppp!! I had this last night at like 11 😂🤣🙈🙈 but then again I hadn’t eaten all day except like two packs of mini muffins but still haha

And yup!!! 5’ 11” 😂🤣🙈

And the pounds are creeping on lol

Forgot the pictures 😂🤣🙈 @SnapdragonQ

1BB58478-448D-458A-98BC-FF26D05924C7.jpeg
2B004973-C605-4335-954B-3029152EEBC8.jpeg
FB3ED076-E551-41A6-80C3-2D7ADFE62E9C.jpeg

This was the best example I found of where to slice the carotid/jugular.
Easy to see due to not many feathers, but you'll have to get between the feathers on a layer bird.
http://ramblingredneckmom.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-process-chickens-at-home.html
The entire article is very helpful, thank you for posting it! I've done a few birds, but the gutting and cleaning out properly had not been shown or taught to me very well and the pictures on the blog help a lot!

Back
Top Bottom