Chronicles of Raising Meat Birds - Modern Broilers, Heritage and Hybrids

Steroids can be lifesaving when you need them, but the side effects are hell. :hugs I've never had to take them but I used to work in nursing so I've seen how people suffer from steroids.

We've mostly lost our weight by cutting out grains & sweets; not completely, but for the most part we just don't eat them.
I had a severe reaction to prednisone to the point I couldn’t even go out in public. I was so angry, I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t satisfy my hunger, and the weight gain killed my breathing. One night I felt like I had bugs under my skin... I scratched myself so bad I was bleeding. I stopped cold turkey and that was ridiculous. I have never felt so poorly. My moms an RN too so she was helping me when I was in rough shape, I’d call her or text her more than I do which is every day. It took 2 weeks to stop getting detox symptoms.

With all of the discussion on wing tips and flats being hard to skin because you would also have to pluck them, I wonder if the feathers would cause any issues with making stock. Just snip those ends off like normal, then take that chunk of wing with it's skin and any feather shafts that don't want to come out and make stock with them, if you are straining everything out later I would assume the only issue would be any dirt on the feathers but you could kind of shave the wings maybe or use scissors to remove the main chunk of the feather that would be dirty.

Just a thought.

It would not cause a problem. One funny memory came to mind when I read this. I once was served soup on a ship, turned out a birds feet were used in it, small feet, so small bird, maybe blackbird size. Those feet still had the nails attached to it and did not have the outer layer peeled off, so not very appetizing, but still eatable. I didn't eat the feet though, but nonetheless finished the soup. :)

If you shave the wings or cut the feathers otherwise, no problem at all, I would say. If you don't, I would give those feathers a proper wash with a lot of water. It makes a difference. Maybe like the difference in taste with snails that were fasted in milk for a couple of days and those that weren't. :) Anyway, take as much of the feathers off as you reasonably can and don't worry about what's left.

It would not cause a problem. One funny memory came to mind when I read this. I once was served soup on a ship, turned out a birds feet were used in it, small feet, so small bird, maybe blackbird size. Those feet still had the nails attached to it and did not have the outer layer peeled off, so not very appetizing, but still eatable. I didn't eat the feet though, but nonetheless finished the soup. :)

If you shave the wings or cut the feathers otherwise, no problem at all, I would say. If you don't, I would give those feathers a proper wash with a lot of water. It makes a difference. Maybe like the difference in taste with snails that were fasted in milk for a couple of days and those that weren't. :) Anyway, take as much of the feathers off as you reasonably can and don't worry about what's left.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. It would save the waste but still be easy to process that way. Might even be able to scald just the wing tips using a pot of water on the stove and tongs which SHOULD loosen up those feathers that are sunk into the meat and help them skin off better to be able to easier make stock out of them.

so feeding the 11 week old Delaware enhanced and noticed one of them looked bloody. I know they are tight right now, but I move in a little over a week to the new farm so they have to hold on. Sigh, somehow the webbing to his second wing joint has been ripped and the rest were picking at it, and he could not care less, acted like he never even noticed. Sadly, tomorrow he joins freezer camp early.

For those who cut off all but the mini drumstick of the wings, you don't want to do this with this breed. The twin bone wing is huge, more meet than the wing drumstick on a Cornish X, four or five bites worth it feels like.

Pics sometime tomorrow night after I get back from the city [ taking mom to her doctors appt.] Since I get up around 4 normally, i'll do the deed while he is still somewhat asleep.

so feeding the 11 week old Delaware enhanced and noticed one of them looked bloody. I know they are tight right now, but I move in a little over a week to the new farm so they have to hold on. Sigh, somehow the webbing to his second wing joint has been ripped and the rest were picking at it, and he could not care less, acted like he never even noticed. Sadly, tomorrow he joins freezer camp early.

For those who cut off all but the mini drumstick of the wings, you don't want to do this with this breed. The twin bone wing is huge, more meet than the wing drumstick on a Cornish X, four or five bites worth it feels like.

Pics sometime tomorrow night after I get back from the city [ taking mom to her doctors appt.] Since I get up around 4 normally, i'll do the deed while he is still somewhat asleep.
A few bites less for you on that one, sounds like!:drool I can picture you feeling his wings, and counting how many bites . . .

I’m going to be doing quail and chickens sometime this week. I’m unsure who’s going or not. That’s always the hard part since I breed for coloring for customers. Thing the silver quail are safe, but some others won’t be.

20200821_083028.jpg
Newest batch of cx think they are dux.... silly birds keep swimming in the water then wondering why they are wet and cold?

Back
Top Bottom