Chukar as a pet! (Getting to know your chukar) Help needed

Being game birds they're always going to have a wild and aggressive streak. I keep alot of different pheasants and work hard to have them at least comfortable with hand feeding so I can more easily check them for health issues, but despite this they aren't like chickens where you can be buddy buddy with them. Chukars from what I've seen tend to be the same way plus when breeding season comes they tend to go on a hormone induced rampage and get very aggressive.

Ok so ive been wanting a few chukar partridges but ive heard that they cant be in with chickens because of a disease chickens carry....so is the disease air-born or does it have to be physical contanct with the chickens becasue i dont know where to keep them housed at and was wondering if they can be in the same shed just in another closed off area? Any information about them or housing of them would be wonderful!

The diseases are spread through physical contact, sometimes airborne and through the poop. Another area in the shed would be fine as long as the birds aren't in very close proximity to each other or allowed to mingle.

I harched out 6 chucker last year. I brooded them with chicks and a few quail. I guess they all think they are chickens. They stay in the yard. Sometimes fly over to eat our of the neighbors bird feeder. They always come back. They roost with the chickens in the coop. They all come when called to get treats. I guess they didn't get the memo that they are suppose to be wild. They just started to lay in a secluded spot in the coop. I am looking forward to watching them hatch their babies. It will be interesting to see if they stay around with the babies.
What do they eat?

Oh thankyou! I think hes gotten used to me since I do my best to sing and talk to him every day, though I dont know if I can let him out of his cage because im scared hell fly away. Do Chukars need to exercise their wings at all?

Also I have some friends that would like to see him so should I show new faces to him? Right now he seems very lively so I feel a little better~

Thanks for the advice :>
I have a pet Chukkar I hatched. Chicklet follows us everywhere, plays with the dogs, beats up the pheasants and has the driest poop available to birds. I suppose that is because they come from arid homelands. She comes when called, wears a diaper on occasion and is very affectionate. No need to confine her as she goes outside, inside, car rides and walks, with no attempt to be out of eye range. I have had many exotic birds, two pet turkeys that did all of the above as well, however these birds have no odour. I am very surprised that they have not jumped to the forefront of pets, in general and have a lifespan of ten years. They sing constantly and are exceptionally easy to maintain. Folks should know this as well. She was trained to not go on counters or tables so sits comfortably on shoulders. She even has a small harness for outings. Thought someone might like to know. She also preans our hair but does not bite. Go figure.

I have two pet chukars, one of them is very domesticated and another, his wife, who is a bit wilder. I want to take them out for a walk in the park [the nearest dogpark] as they spend all their time indoors. What are the chances that the wife will fly away and never come back? Also, is there a way to do this safely - for example, tying the girl's leg with a string, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom