Chukar photos... need to figure out males/females... help?

Yep... they're about the size of pigeons or grouse. I hear they're excellent eating, but I only have 15 of them so far. Maybe this year we'll try one.
wink.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Yep... they're about the size of pigeons or grouse. I hear they're excellent eating, but I only have 15 of them so far. Maybe this year we'll try one.
wink.png

hummm...let me know when you start getting some eggs..i may wanna try them also....
big_smile.png

I don't know if I'll have eggs available this year.
sad.png
It looks like I'll have to order in eggs myself to keep up with the demand on the eggs/chicks locally. CUDA mentioned that he'd have some in the Spring (they start laying in March/April, I think) and there's another member, Steelshot, that I got eggs from this last summer. I also ordered from Rosebud Chukar Farms in TX, and had a pretty good hatch rate.
fl.gif
for lots of hens in the mix... it's REALLY hard to tell them apart!!

Oh, and BTW... they take a lot more room than the coturnix, but they are the SWEETEST birds... very pretty, love their calls (kind of remind me of turkeys... tok tok tok... sounds like big bubbles popping! :lol), cold-hardy, and fairly friendly! Not stinky at all, poopies are small, like little squirrel poops.
lol.png

Hey tori
smile.png

i don't know if you can tell male from female yet with them and i don't know if you already know this info but if you haven't and don't i found this ... i hope it helps
smile.png

VENT SEXING IN CHUKAR PARTRIDGES
Sexes of chukar partridges (Alectoris chukar), and other species of partridge, are difficult to distinguish because the sexes often have similar plumage. A method for determining the sex of day-old chukars was described by Siopes and Wilson (1973) based on a modified vent-sexing technique commonly used for domestic poultry (Komatsu 1935).
According to Siopes and Wilson, sex determination is based on the shape of genital protuberance (Fig. 16-4). In males, the protuberance is large and either cone or heart shaped. In females, the protuberance is absent or is small and flat.
The technique of cloacal sexing involves placing the head or neck between the index and middle finger, and placing the thumb on the lower abdomen. Then, apply gentle pressure with the thumb of the holding hand to evert the cloaca and expel fecal matter. After the cloaca is slightly everted, the small genital protuberance on the neutral rim of the vent is examined under a bright light.
Manipulation of this area with the thumb and index finger of the free hand provides an optimum view for accurately determining sex. This technique requires much practice before a high level of accuracy can be expected.

Thanks Mark! I actually found an article that had a photo of just that, so I'll have to give it a try.
wink.png

Welcome
smile.png

and that's great! i hope you get the hang of it and be able to tell them apart.... are you gonna use leg bands once you figure out the sexes?

Back
Top Bottom