Cicada Gigas alarm clocks

The every year ones are too bad. The 17 yr. ones are horrible- their din is so loud and continuous that the news said they could cause hearing loss in as little as one hour. Plus if you knocked them off your arm they scream. My son missed them last time because he was out of state for the summer. Which makes me realize we should be due for them next year. Oy vey!!:oops:

The every year ones are too bad. The 17 yr. ones are horrible- their din is so loud and continuous that the news said they could cause hearing loss in as little as one hour. Plus if you knocked them off your arm they scream. My son missed them last time because he was out of state for the summer. Which makes me realize we should be due for them next year. Oy vey!!:oops:
Stand near a gigas and hearing loss can most likely occur in under 5 minutes. I have not directly measured their decibles, but would rate them around 140. I have walked directly under one at Bentson State Park on their walking trails was not a pleasant experience. Wikipedia rates them as the loudest in the western hemisphere.

They are highly beneficial for my chicken though ensuring I wake up every day!

ear.png

Back
Top Bottom