Cinnamon queen cockerel or pullet?

I didn’t believe I had something special. I was just basing it off what the breeder told me. smh.

And the inexperienced breeder probably thought they were breeding "CQ's."

Although admittedly there are those who are purposely misconstruing.

However, generally, in backyard breeding, a simple case of breeder ignorance as the feed stores label them Cinnamon Queens as if that were a breed.

Don't get me started on Easter Eggers and the confusion THAT created by feed stores dubbing them Americanas. LOL.

Anywho...hopefully you've got some decent layers, and if that's your goal, no harm done (unless they are all roosters!)... just a learning experience.

LofMc

Hi, I just got chicks and got me a cinnamon queen but the breeder was unsure whether it’s a pullet or a cockerel due to it growing it’s tail feathers super fast. It didn’t have stripes on its back but now it has developed stripes. I believe it might be a pullet but it’s probably too soon to tell. I thought they where sex linked at birth though.
Here is my cinnamon queen ahe was yellow as a chick so I dont think yours is a cq
20220220_173816.jpg

oh and a purr bred sex link would be in Colombian so example: light Sussex hen with a buff sussex rooster, or a light Brahma hen with a buff Brahma rooster,
Colombian is not the only colour it can be done in it just happens that there are normal Colombians (which carry's the silver gene) and buff Colombians (at least i have seen it done like this i have no experience with buff sussex only light sussex so i have not done the cross my self)

And the inexperienced breeder probably thought they were breeding "CQ's."

Although admittedly there are those who are purposely misconstruing.

However, generally, in backyard breeding, a simple case of breeder ignorance as the feed stores label them Cinnamon Queens as if that were a breed.

Don't get me started on Easter Eggers and the confusion THAT created by feed stores dubbing them Americanas. LOL.

Anywho...hopefully you've got some decent layers, and if that's your goal, no harm done (unless they are all roosters!)... just a learning experience.

LofMc
If it’s a CQ or not I really don’t care. I just wanted a layer and that was it. I don’t get what’s the huge issue if it’s a purebred or not? My question in the beginning was if y’all could give me advice if it was a pullet or cockerel. It wasn’t so everyone could go off on if it was a purebred or not as if that was my initial question. I was basing off of what the breeder said.

Hi, I just got chicks and got me a cinnamon queen but the breeder was unsure whether it’s a pullet or a cockerel due to it growing it’s tail feathers super fast. It didn’t have stripes on its back but now it has developed stripes. I believe it might be a pullet but it’s probably too soon to tell. I thought they where sex linked at birth though.
How old is it? I think it's to young to be honest.

If it’s a CQ or not I really don’t care. I just wanted a layer and that was it. I don’t get what’s the huge issue if it’s a purebred or not? My question in the beginning was if y’all could give me advice if it was a pullet or cockerel. It wasn’t so everyone could go off on if it was a purebred or not as if that was my initial question. I was basing off of what the breeder said.

If it was a Cinnamon Queen (produced by a hatchery), we could look at the color and tell you what sex it is. Cinnamon Queens are on the short list of chickens that are special that way.

So whether it is a "real" Cinnamon Queen or not makes a big difference in whether we can tell the gender this early.

Since it is actually a mixed breed chick, that can NOT be sexed by color, we are not able to tell you what gender it is until it gets a bit older.

If it was a Cinnamon Queen (produced by a hatchery), we could look at the color and tell you what sex it is. Cinnamon Queens are on the short list of chickens that are special that way.

So whether it is a "real" Cinnamon Queen or not makes a big difference in whether we can tell the gender this early.

Since it is actually a mixed breed chick, that can NOT be sexed by color, we are not able to tell you what gender it is until it gets a bit older.
Ok, that’s fine. I’ll post a photo of it in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom