Cinnamon queen egg productivity

grdnnut

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
kirksville mo
Can anyone tell me how long cinnamon queens lay eggs? My CQ's are 2 years old and their egg production has dropped dramatically and I now have one laying shell less eggs.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

Welcome to the forum

The name is a marketing tool, but these strains of red/gold sex links are world class layers of large brown eggs. Most brown egg farms, large commercial places, have these specialized brown egg layers. None better. There are likely 2 dozen strains, but most of which I am familiar lay up a storm.

Then, as you may have discovered, they tend to run out of gas.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
are they starting to molt, that would disrupt their laying. Are they are good quality layers feed? Is there a chance they are older than you were told - maybe past their prime?

They may be starting to molt. I was told they were 11 months when I got them in July 2012. How long does molting last? (I am a seasoned gardener but a novice to poultry).

Okay, from looking at pictures I am pretty sure they are molting. We had a mite problem for the first time early this summer and I assumed feather loss was due to mite damage or something. Mites have been gone for a while but they sure look scraggly. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom