Cinnamon Queen questions: health, longevity, temperament etc

Nixonfamilyusa

In the Brooder
May 16, 2023
Maine
Thinking of getting two Cinnamon Queens.
We are in urban area, allowed 6 hens and no roosters.
We currently have 4: one Wellsummer, two easter eggers and one unknown.

Has anyone had experience with CQs they can report back on?
Do they have a short life expectancy based on high egg production?
Do they often get egg bound?
Any special diet required?
Are they too loud for an urban environment?

Thanks
Shaun

#Do they have a short life expectancy based on high egg production?
#Do they often get egg bound?
#Any special diet required?
#Are they too loud for an urban environment?
#Yes!

#Yes, and they often suffer from salpingitis, egg yolk peritonitis and other reproductive issues .

#They need a high protein diet and extra calcium free choice.

# They are as loud as any other high production hybrid.

Thinking of getting two Cinnamon Queens.
We are in urban area, allowed 6 hens and no roosters.
We currently have 4: one Wellsummer, two easter eggers and one unknown.

Has anyone had experience with CQs they can report back on?
Do they have a short life expectancy based on high egg production?
Do they often get egg bound?
Any special diet required?
Are they too loud for an urban environment?

Thanks
Shaun
I have 2 CQs. They are flock leaders, but they’re very good leaders and always the first to spot hawks. One is high strung and very vocal, the other is laid back. We also have a small back yard flock in a small city and have no issues with noise complaints, even tho one is very vocal around laying time.

They are 2 years old and very regular layers. I haven’t had any egg bound problems, but I did have soft shell issues with one when they were on a higher protein feed instead of a layer feed. I do recommend oyster shells and not feeding treats or feeding very little because they do lay almost every day.

Edit to add: I’m sure life expectancy is shorter, but with less snacks and treats it could be prolonged.

IMG_1684.jpeg
IMG_0053.jpeg

I have 2 CQs. They are flock leaders, but they’re very good leaders and always the first to spot hawks. One is high strung and very vocal, the other is laid back. We also have a small back yard flock in a small city and have no issues with noise complaints, even tho one is very vocal around laying time.

They are 2 years old and very regular layers. I haven’t had any egg bound problems, but I did have soft shell issues with one when they were on a higher protein feed instead of a layer feed. I do recommend oyster shells and not feeding treats or feeding very little because they do lay almost every day.

Edit to add: I’m sure life expectancy is shorter, but with less snacks and treats it could be prolonged.

View attachment 3762251View attachment 3762252
The hens in your pictures don't look like the usual cinnamon queens as their combs give them away.

Usually, cinnamon queens will have the average single combs, nothing crown-like or spiked as your cute hens show.

But of course, every hatchery creates their own kind of Cinnamon Queen hybrids.

Where did yours come from?

The hens in your pictures are not cinnamon queens as their combs give them away.

Cinnamon queens will have the average single combs, nothing crown-like or spiked as your cute hens show.
So there have been other threads arguing about the breeds of these two. The consensus was CQ - but a different stock. Apparently 2 different hatcheries breed CQs differently from what I understand. I believe these are Hoovers stock:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/cinnamonqueen.html

I could be totally wrong, but that is just what the consensus was.

The hens in your pictures don't look like the usual cinnamon queens as their combs give them away.

Usually, cinnamon queens will have the average single combs, nothing crown-like or spiked as your cute hens show.

But of course, every hatchery creates their own kind of Cinnamon Queen hybrids.

Where did yours come from?
Ofc they were from a TSC bin labeled Rhode Island Reds…which clearly no. So there’s that…

The one has a strange comb huh! I don’t know why it has a weird spike in the back. Some variation of rose combs I suppose.

Last edited:
Thanks @alinas2010 can you tell me a little more about being flock leaders. I thought they typically end up lower on the pecking order.
Ours are definitely dominant. But the other breeds we have are docile breeds - sapphire gem, Rhode Island blue, New Hampshire red (lone adoptee), so that could be part of it. I haven’t heard that CQs are lower on the pecking order myself. I think one of the parents breeds, RIR, is known for being more dominant.

The others get reminder pecks when they go for the food before our CQs, they are super cautious of new objects and lead the others to avoid them at all costs, they’re the first to spot hawks, great foragers. One is a bit onary at laying time; she has pulled at my pant legs and jumped at others if a nesting box is unavailable. But other than that she’s wonderful. She practically throws herself at us when we walk by - squatting, you know? They’re not overly aggressive towards the others, but keep them in line for sure. At one point one of them was upsetting me in that she kept yanking on the lowest hens feathers when the lowest hen got too close, but she seems to have outgrown that now.

Anything in particular you’re looking for about their behavior? A lot of times it’ll vary so much depending genes.

Thanks that's great info. As we have 4 and only allowed 2 more, we are looking for a breed that will easily fit in, be calm, docile not necessarily dominant. May have to look at other breeds. Any suggestions?

I love getting eggs, and they are dependable layers, I like to always have a few in the flock. Mine live generally 3 years, but will then just have sudden death. Fine one moment, and gone the next. I have never had the laying problems others have mentioned. I like keeping a younger flock, turning birds over to do so, so this is not a problem for me.

I do like a variety of birds in my flock, and I do like having a couple of these. Currently I have 5 productions birds, different flavors. But get this, the red and white production bird is laying a GREEN egg.

Mrs. K

Back
Top Bottom