BYM Hatching Derby - Hatch-Along

These are the last two, from Cecelia's clutch. Don't they look just pitiful? They were just treated for moderate shrink-wrap. Had I followed my gut and helped them hatch morning before spending the afternoon out, they would only have had minor shrink-wrap.
20240301_195012.jpg
20240301_195017.jpg

16 healthy normal chicks, a couple funny necks, and the hatchlings need to sleep and talk for a bit still.
20240301_195100.jpg

20240301_195121.jpg

20240301_195111.jpg

These went into lock down last Thursday! Definitely retiring this incubator. These were supposed to be sold or at least in an outside brooder before my next batch started to hatch, and they went into look down yesterday!

Attachments

• 20240301_195246.jpg
    20240301_195246.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 1
These are the last two, from Cecelia's clutch. Don't they look just pitiful? They were just treated for moderate shrink-wrap. Had I followed my gut and helped them hatch morning before spending the afternoon out, they would only have had minor shrink-wrap. View attachment 3761287View attachment 3761288
16 healthy normal chicks, a couple funny necks, and the hatchlings need to sleep and talk for a bit still. View attachment 3761289
View attachment 3761291
View attachment 3761290
These went into lock down last Thursday! Definitely retiring this incubator. These were supposed to be sold or at least in an outside brooder before my next batch started to hatch, and they went into look down yesterday!
Aw, I hope they power through and are up and peeping soon!

It looks like a good hatch overall. Do you think the neck issues are genetic or nutritional?

Aw, I hope they power through and are up and peeping soon!

It looks like a good hatch overall. Do you think the neck issues are genetic or nutritional?
Probably nutritional. None of her chicks had any problems in the last batch. I think it may even have had something to do with their slow development. The shrink wrapping, too, might have been because they were in lock down for 8 days.

Probably nutritional. None of her chicks had any problems in the last batch. I think it may even have had something to do with their slow development. The shrink wrapping, too, might have been because they were in lock down for 8 days.
Well, nutrition is fixable, so that's a plus. How are they doing now?

They got kicked out of the laundry room sink brooder by the next hatch a few hours ago and I think they like the extra space. My partner has been trying to nurse the poor deformed one but our mentors say he looks like pig food. Everybody else is currently basking in the light. Their sleep eat poop cycles have been synchronized!
I've been playing around with the chicken calculator and apparently, Cecelia should only have thrown black chicks. So I think there might have been some Soap Opera Shenanigans in the chicken yard! :p
20240302_184102.jpg

They got kicked out of the laundry room sink brooder by the next hatch a few hours ago and I think they like the extra space. My partner has been trying to nurse the poor deformed one but our mentors say he looks like pig food. Everybody else is currently basking in the light. Their sleep eat poop cycles have been synchronized!
I've been playing around with the chicken calculator and apparently, Cecelia should only have thrown black chicks. So I think there might have been some Soap Opera Shenanigans in the chicken yard! :p
View attachment 3761957
Awe, syncro-meeps! That's cool you are using the gene Calc, I haven't messed with it much but I need to more, there's so much to learn!

I hope your partner can help those chicks through, but sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

Awe, syncro-meeps! That's cool you are using the gene Calc, I haven't messed with it much but I need to more, there's so much to learn!

I hope your partner can help those chicks through, but sometimes there's just nothing you can do.
I mean... I feel like a 3 year old playing with drafting tools and crayons on freshly painted drywall because I barely even know what a third of the jargon means. And I'm completely lost on how to describe Montgomery. Need to get a hard copy of that chicken genetics textbook.

One of the black stars had spraddle leg and he put her in a little pickle jar with a hip brace that let her feet just touch the bottom. Her name was Gherkin lol!

I mean... I feel like a 3 year old playing with drafting tools and crayons on freshly painted drywall because I barely even know what a third of the jargon means. And I'm completely lost on how to describe Montgomery. Need to get a hard copy of that chicken genetics textbook.

One of the black stars had spraddle leg and he put her in a little pickle jar with a hip brace that let her feet just touch the bottom. Her name was Gherkin lol!
Gherkin :gigdid she grow up to be a little pickle? :lau

Yeah, but that feeling sure leaves you full of excitement and wonder :wee

There are some really knowledgeable folks on here about genetics, you could post a thread about Montgomery and they may be able to unravel the mystery.

Gherkin :gigdid she grow up to be a little pickle? :lau

Yeah, but that feeling sure leaves you full of excitement and wonder :wee

There are some really knowledgeable folks on here about genetics, you could post a thread about Montgomery and they may be able to unravel the mystery.
Hahaha! Oh goodness yes that would have definitely stuck!
We lost her and their brother at about 8 weeks old while we were working out the kinks in the outdoor setup. She had a bit of a rhythm to her walk but she was getting around fine. It's okay though, things happen. Lol things happen... we thought Kev-hen was a boy until about 16 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom