CINNAMON QUEEN pros and cons

gottaloveanimal

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2016
orange CA
i was looking at the ISA brown and it says i should have a chicken the same size and i found CINNAMON QUEEN so i want to know the best cons and pros about the breed thank u
ya.gif

please be cautious with ISA brown chickens, they have very serious and inevitably fatal health problems and are not good as a pet or backyard bird. They die early, they die gruesomely, they die in front of you and there is nothing you can do to save them. ISA brown is actually a brand name the same as toyota or nissan.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Isa Brown and Cinnamon Queen are two of many labels under which hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing red gene roosters (RIR, NH, or PR) with silver gene hens (RIW, SLW, Delaware, LS, or silver factor WPR). Not only can they be sexed by color from hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish), but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. I'm not sure what GodofPeckings own personal experience is with them, but I've raised them for years and have not had lots of health problems with them. Their laying does tend to burn out quicker (due to the sheer number of eggs they lay) than most standard breeds. If you decide to go with sex links, I personally prefer the Black Sex Links (Black Stars) as mine have been typically friendlier and hardier than my Red Sex Links. They consistently churn out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year and are particularly persistent layers in really cold winter weather. They also tend to have a longer laying life than Red Sex Links and in fact, the oldest hen to ever lay eggs is a Black Sex Link (marketed in the UK as Black Rocks). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ritain-squeezes-eggs-THIRTEEN-years-last.html Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree with Michael on the ISA Browns or warrens as they known here over in the UK. I found them to be fabulous great egg laying ladies. Reasonably friendly and a good starter bird for me. They were wonderful layers and I enjoyed keeping them very much. I also did not suffer any kind of ailments with them at all.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

I love ISA browns like any other of my chickens, however they drop dead or get sicknesses that can't be fixed and die slowly and early. They do not live long.

My experience would be consistent with other forum members, there is a review here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/isa-browns-chicken-breeds
I've seen enough reviews on Isa Browns over the years and know enough BYC members who have them to know that the health of Isa Browns can vary a lot from member to member. I wasn't suggesting that you weren't speaking from personal experience regarding the health of Isa Browns. I had no idea whether you had any experience with them, but was merely pointing out that poor health with Isa Browns is not universal. Myself and other members such as Yorkshire coop who posted (I could mention others as well) have not had particularly poor health experiences with our Isa Browns (Red Sex Links). However, as I stated in my post, the Black Sex Links do seem to be hardier, laying longer and living longer.

I've not seen anything real good out of either sex link bird, red or black. No longevity of lay and burn out in the second year...after that they tend to have reproductive issues, almost every single bird. Nor do they forage particularly well, either red or black, nor are they feed thrifty or naturally hardy.

Most often, those who espouse the qualities of the sex link birds only keep them for 2 laying seasons and get rid of them for a new flock of the same after that, and might not have kept them long enough to see what happens after they burn out.

Much like Cornish Cross broiler birds, the red sex link birds are bred for a specific time frame of performance and then they seem to have an expiration date stamped on the bottom of their feet. I'd never recommend a sex link to anyone who isn't merely wanting high egg production for a year and a half then will be using them for meat afterwards...and do it quickly before they die.

Pros? A friendly bird that lays a large brown egg daily for a year.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Opinions on these is certainly divided. Based on my experience with them, I have to agree with @Michael OShay and Yorkshire coop. The red sex link girls I have are healthy, friendly and good egg layers. I've enjoyed having them in my flock.

Good luck to you, thanks for joining us!

Opinions on these is certainly divided. Based on my experience with them, I have to agree with @Michael OShay and Yorkshire coop. The red sex link girls I have are healthy, friendly and good egg layers. I've enjoyed having them in my flock.

Good luck to you, thanks for joining us!
Interestingly enough, under our Breeds section Red Sex Links have received a 93% positive review rating from among 54 BYC members (https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/red-sex-link), which is exactly the same positive review percentage rating (also 93%) as Rhode Island Reds, a heritage breed (https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/rhode-island). These numbers would seem to suggest that those who've had major health issues with their Red Sex Links are the exception rather than the rule. My advice to gottaloveanimals is to read through these reviews before purchasing Red Sex Links and then make the decision whether to purchase them or not.

Back
Top Bottom