CINNAMON QUEEN pros and cons

Interestingly enough, under our Breeds section Red Sex Links have received a 93% positive review rating from among 54 BYC members (https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/red-sex-link), which is exactly the same positive review percentage rating (also 93%) as Rhode Island Reds, a heritage breed (https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/rhode-island). These numbers would seem to suggest that those who've had major health issues with their Red Sex Links are the exception rather than the rule. My advice to gottaloveanimals is to read through these reviews before purchasing Red Sex Links and then make the decision whether to purchase them or not.

Maybe it's not surprising then that I love both my RIR's and my red sex links, lol. Other people have had negative feelings about both. On the other hand, I might be the only person around that had trouble with Black Australorps behaving badly, lol.

@gottaloveanimal there are going to be mixed opinions on everything...breeds, coop designs, hatcheries, etc. You just have to go with what works best for you.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Hey there... My first birds were red & black sex links and an EE. Sex links are like laying machines. Reds are nice L/XL eggs. EE good layer but not as consistent. My Cinnamon Queen is 22 weeks and yet to lay so I am learning the breed.

I truly believe from reading posts on many different issues that experiences with different breeds can also change from geographic areas so I try to take that into consideration as well...I LOVE the expertise I have found from BYC family!!

Came to this thread from a google search because I wanted to know the parent bird of Cinnamon Queens. Most sources say RIR male over RIW female. I'd always thought that was Golden Comet parentage -- my Golden Comet "Henrietta" is the reason I got addicted to chickens.

Just some random thoughts sent into the internet air LOL
1. Because these birds are hybrids - meaning they come from two different parent breeds, it seems logical that they couldn't be suffering as a "breed" (they aren't a breed they are a hybrid) from inbreeding. Just by definition inbreeding is genetics that are too much the same. Some hybrids do not reproduce - think mule for example. It's like the Red hybrids have the opposite egg production results from mules.
2. In most animals a phenomena called 'hybrid vigor' produces stronger and more robust offspring than pure breeds.
3. Specialty breeds/hybrids are the result of human intervention -- for the good or the bad - compare a wolf to a pug or a Boston terrier.

article-2318583-1996A3C3000005DC-47_634x412.jpg

Here's a pict from that UK article about the 17-year old black sex-link that produced 2 eggs with a 13 year hiatus. Thanks for that link.

The above hen was isolated for "cocky behavior" -- I have a hen that is 5 1/2 now (how time flies) that isn't laying but started almost crowing in the morning. And.... she was the sole survivor of my flock.
UNTIL yesterday when I picked up 3 Cinnamon Queens - already 6-months old. Just love them and even
P1080979.JPG
though they haven't been here 24 hours, I already have 2-eggs from them.

The reason I divested my flock was because I was going to move....but now I think moving away is cancelled, so hence - time for chickens.
:ya:wee:ya:celebrate

Unlike Montana Mike my black sex-link didn't do as well as the reds....maybe it's hot climate TX versus the cooler climate up there.

In the end for any beginner I think that Red sex-link is the perfect starter chicken. JMO:old

1163894-fa6c82b73dd5829fc6acafd6a2529984.gif I have a few living FERAL in the woods behind our property.
Hurricane Irma relocated them over there with several others when she ripped off the house roof and sucked half my flock out.
They are a docile bird. Able to overcome stress and have natural survival instincts.
Surviving on 100% bug diet and zero clean tap water.
AND REPRODUCING..

Back
Top Bottom