Cinnamon Queens - Do you have any?

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Hey all,

DH wanted me to order some Cinnamon Queens, I know nothing about them. Do any of you have them???

I read that they are harty layers and start early... I would like to hear from those of you that have them, so that I have personal experiance informaiton if possible.

Thank you,

Tes

I think Cinnamon Queens is another name for the Red Sex Links. I have 8. They are great layers. They started at 20 weeks. They are at 25 weeks now and I get 8 eggs a day almost every day. Eggs are good size and very tasty. We get tons of double yolk eggs. Nice personality too. They are very pretty as well. My sister said our chickens are "happy chickens" when she visited last week. I definitely recommend this breed.

I didn't think they were a red sex link because those are RIR/Delaware Hen. And if you look at the hatcheries they sell them seperately.

wclawrence - That would be an interesting mix... how did their laying vary?

Thanks for the info... are they hearty eaters??? I hope not... I'm already going through 2 bags of feed a week because of all the other animals.

"Sex Link" is not a breed, but more along the lines of a breeding method.

any time a Red rooster is bred to a Silver hen, the female offspring will be pure red. and the roosters will be red/silver split.

This is because hens only carry one gene for the Red/Silver locus. They inherit this one gene from their dad every time. Roosters carry two, they inherit one from mom and one from dad. So a Red rooster over a Silver hen will always produce red hens. Any other color is due to other genes present in the parent breeds (or varieties or what have you.)

Thus any Red rooster bred to any silver hens will produce pure red hens, which are easy to identify when compared to gold (red/silver split) which will all be roosters.

on to another subject.
The layers I had which were Buff Rock X Red Sex Link did vary some in color, from nearly pure white to dark red. But their laying didn't vary hardly any at all. The Buff Rocks were a very good laying strain. Obviously the RSLinks were too.
One day I want to breed birds like that again. Right now I have too much going on with the longcrowers and longtails.
The Longcrowers are really good layers by the way. I would love to see someone breed one of these boys to some big laying type hens to work with a few fun genes. If anyone here is interested let me know.

All chickens are hearty eaters, right? WHat kind of other animals do you have? If you have goats, horses, or rabbits, you can turn their manure into compost and use the chickens to turn the mulch. It is actually good for them once it has gone through a heat and decomposed a bit. It has lots of bugs and worms and mushrooms after it is finished, and makes the chickens really shine when they have access to it.
A big compost pile can actually provide enough food for several chickens, in combination with a little yard space (aka pasture)

Meyer Hatchery describes their Golden Buffs as being also called the Cinnamon Queen. I have a page of photos and description in a link in my signature.
smile.png

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for the information supplied. I was very impressed with your information patienceprudencecharity. I believe those are the ones that we are looking at. I did end up ordering 20 of them.. so hopefully they will be good.

wclawrence - thank you for all the information you supplied also! I appreciate everything you have had to offer. We have a 40 acre farm with pigs, horses, dogs, chickens, ducks, and turkies, and a rabbit with arriving soon, a couple of sheep and cows...
th.gif
We do have a compost pile, a BIG one and it does seem to help with feed situation and the chickens do love to keep in ummm... turning... I have noticed that we are doing well with not having as many insects <knocking on wood> as we have had in the past before all the wonderful poultry. Thank you so very much I have appreciated all information from all of you!!!

Back
Top Bottom