Cinnamon Queens from Cackle

Interesting the CQ's slowed down quite a bit in egg production when they became hens. I get around 6-8 eggs a day now from 12 hens. Eating slowed down quite a bit when they reached a year old as well as pooping.

My 4 year old Rhode Island Red hens I get 0-2 eggs a day from them. Only 3 left laying, the other two don't lay anymore.

JT

I love mine but be prepared, they have been short-lived. My CQ flock is four years old now. I’ve lost many of them to laying-related issues. They dropped out quickly after the 3 year mark, which was last year. That was a heartbreak. That kind of production starting at 16 weeks and laying 6 eggs a week is very hard on them. They are not sickly while they are young and do well foraging. They’re friendly, not skittish or flighty and they can go broody. only three of my original 15 are left. I have a second generation that was outcrossed for longer lifespan and they still lay very well as F1.

That’s exactly what I feared. All that emotional investment and then…
I have got a Cinnamon Queen from Cackle named Lily.. She's four months old, not laying yet. She's really loud and a bit of a bully 😕😕 She's always keeping an eye on me and she uses the chicken swing the most. I also play music for them 🙂🙂

My Rhode Island Red hens are 4 years old this month. I have 4 left of the original 9. I have been getting an egg every other day more or less from them. The first one died when she was just 2 years old. That sure was a surprise to me.

My Cinnamon Queens are 1 year old. I got the first egg at 17 weeks, by week 20 quite a few were laying. They all seem to have different personalities. Their coop has music and a touch screen with a Raspberry Pi to control the door. The lights, music and the door opens at sunrise. The lights stay on for one hour. The music plays till dusk when the door closes.

JT

I love mine but be prepared, they have been short-lived. My CQ flock is four years old now. I’ve lost many of them to laying-related issues. They dropped out quickly after the 3 year mark, which was last year. That was a heartbreak. That kind of production starting at 16 weeks and laying 6 eggs a week is very hard on them. They are not sickly while they are young and do well foraging. They’re friendly, not skittish or flighty and they can go broody. only three of my original 15 are left. I have a second generation that was outcrossed for longer lifespan and they still lay very well as F1.
Hi Awakening Forest. I have one 16-week CQ (or Red Sex Link) from Cackle. She's the sweetest thing, lowest on pecking order of 4. But so lively and a joy to be around.
I am already so worried about her potential short lifespan. Do you know what I can help do to prolog her life? I don't even care about a lot of eggs, I got her from a friend not for egg production but as a pet.
Also, can you tell me what the complications and their end/death eventually looks like? Is it painful or prolonged? I'm just trying to be prepared although she's just a pullet right now!

Hi Awakening Forest. I have one 16-week CQ (or Red Sex Link) from Cackle. She's the sweetest thing, lowest on pecking order of 4. But so lively and a joy to be around.
I am already so worried about her potential short lifespan. Do you know what I can help do to prolog her life? I don't even care about a lot of eggs, I got her from a friend not for egg production but as a pet.
Also, can you tell me what the complications and their end/death eventually looks like? Is it painful or prolonged? I'm just trying to be prepared although she's just a pullet right now!
I wish you the best with your girls. Since CQ really aren’t a “breed” but more of a name, I think individual hens will vary health wise. Of my remaining four one has stopped laying and has slowed down a lot. She is my rooster’s favorite and he rarely leaves her side. The other three are very healthy and laying productively still. My F1 crosses are doing well at 2. They are just a wonderful all around hen that needs special consideration to keep them going well. I switched feed last year to All Flock and gave them separate calcium and I think that was a mistake. I had a few egg issues and lost a couple so I switched them back.

Things to look out for are lethargy, pale combs and lack of appetite. My Roo Hamilton tells me when one is really bad during the day. He is a great Roo but there is little I can do for the hens once they get going down the end lane. It can go on for weeks. I just keep them comfortable and watch out for bullying.

My best advice is to feed them a quality feed for laying hens once they start laying. Plan on something standard in your area so you never have to run out. Feed them well and take care of their crop health. And if possible breed them to a different Roo so you can enjoy their progeny too ❤️

Things to look out for are lethargy, pale combs and lack of appetite. My Roo Hamilton tells me when one is really bad during the day. He is a great Roo but there is little I can do for the hens once they get going down the end lane. It can go on for weeks. I just keep them comfortable and watch out for bullying.
Same here, I've lost one CQ to sickness at 14 months old. Having said that I have had similar happen to my RIR heritage breed flock. I lost one a bit over a year old. They are bit over 4 years old and I have 4 of the original 9 left. I get 0-2 eggs a day from them. The CQ's have slowed way down I assume due to the heat and I get 4-6 eggs a day from the 10 CQ's I have. Symptoms always seem similar except for the one that got fly strike. All you can do is keep them comfortable as possible and offer them as many treats as they want. I agree it's more about the individual birds than a breed.

JT

I wish you the best with your girls. Since CQ really aren’t a “breed” but more of a name, I think individual hens will vary health wise. Of my remaining four one has stopped laying and has slowed down a lot. She is my rooster’s favorite and he rarely leaves her side. The other three are very healthy and laying productively still. My F1 crosses are doing well at 2. They are just a wonderful all around hen that needs special consideration to keep them going well. I switched feed last year to All Flock and gave them separate calcium and I think that was a mistake. I had a few egg issues and lost a couple so I switched them back.

My best advice is to feed them a quality feed for laying hens once they start laying. Plan on something standard in your area so you never have to run out. Feed them well and take care of their crop health. And if possible breed them to a different Roo so you can enjoy their progeny too ❤️
Thank you for the reply and info. I'm new to chickens and this is my first flock. I love them already. I don't have a rooster since it's not allowed where I live unfortunately. But will do my very best to care for my 4 girls.
When yours CQ have passed did they naturally or do they end up needing to be euthanize?

Back
Top Bottom