Citron Spangled Hamburgs?!

Is this where selective breeding comes in? where it will take years to breed back to the sop and wouldn't it be easier to buy a breeding trio that are already sop?
Yes. If you want to breed birds to the standard, you'd want to start with better parents. Those birds are pretty, but their markings are not great and their combs aren't great, either. I just depends on what you want from the chicks, though. There's nothing wrong with pet quality so long as that is your goal.

Offspring from any of those parents are always going to be pet quality. And that's fine, just be clear to your buyers.

Yes. If you want to breed birds to the standard, you'd want to start with better parents. Those birds are pretty, but their markings are not great and their combs aren't great, either. I just depends on what you want from the chicks, though. There's nothing wrong with pet quality so long as that is your goal.
I can't find any eggs, chicks or adults. Seems to have been years since any have been posted.

I can't find any eggs, chicks or adults. Seems to have been years since any have been posted.
I'm surprised you found those three, to be honest. This is a variety that is raised in Europe, but I've never seen them here. I assume they arose from crosses of the gold spangled and silver spangled, but I really don't know for sure.

I say keep and love what you have. Breed them and try to improve your flock going forward. Give them a chance to produce for you. Maybe you can add new blood later on.
They are pretty birds.

Back
Top Bottom