Citrus?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Izzymoon, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    I received a case of oranges as a Christmas gift and wondered if I can give them to my birds. I know they need calcium for the eggs, but do they need vitamin C? Will it hurt them to give it to them? Pros/cons?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i had a baby with rickets and seen some oj with added d and calcium so i bought it and when i asked about everyone told me they wont drink it, they dont like it. well, i had already mixed it in the feed and i guess nobody told my chicks they wernt supposed to like it because they went to town and the rickets did get better.i only gave it once because i didnt want to push my luck. if chickens wont eat something theres a reason for it. mine was hide in the feed.

3. Izzymoon

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    thanks for your reply, glad they got better, I guess I can just see if they eat one? I don't think it should hurt them at all

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i guess not. you can try. and if they dont you can squeeze them and freeze the juice.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Cut each orange half into quarters but leave the peel in place so that the baby chickens can get at the orange flesh from which every angle the orange quarter is laying. The only problem is that fruit fed on the ground picks up dirt particles and that may be a bad (ie a good) way for the little guys to pick themselves up a dose of coccidiosis or some other chicken shoo-nasty-nasty that lives in the contaminated ground that chickens have lived on for a couple of years.

6. Izzymoon

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd use a pie plate to put them in. It's been under 10 degrees here for 2 weeks, everything is frozen solid or use the suet holder never on the ground

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by