City girl here, and I flew the coop!

Sweetbird

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 6, 2015
Floyd, Virginia
Hi, I have been referencing this site a little here and there since I moved out of the city of Chicago to a mountain in Virginia. Calling it a farm is pretty loose, since all the buildings need to be fixed up and well, the list goes on and on.

There was an old chicken coop here that we cleaned out and basically rebuilt (it was our in-laws who kept chickens years ago without diseases, etc) and we inherited 17 random hens and a young rooster. The owner was getting divorced and they needed to rehome them. He told us they had just started laying, so fairly young. I found one of those metal nesting box wall units, fixed that up and replaced the rusted floor with plywood. I look forward to building a new system though. This was in October. About five cars per day come down our road and the chickens forage all day, but we shut them up safely in their house at night.

Out of my 17 hens, I was getting 4-6 eggs per day but I think that might be normal for hens coming of age. I guess I will learn this on the forum here! They stopped completely for winter, until I got wise and put a light in last week and now I'm getting 4 a day. I just figured out that I should be giving cracked corn too, so they have more energy to put towards laying.

These chickens are stalkers. I will be working somewhere on the property and suddenly look over to see all of them standing nearby looking at me expectantly. Other times I might be trimming brambles and hear a single 'cluck' and turn around to find one looking up at me. When I play fetch with my dog in the pasture, they all run after him and he has to wade through a flock of chickens to get back to me. They are so funny.

I hope my post hasn't been too painfully ignorant and I hope to learn a lot here!

Hi and welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you have a lot to do but hey, you have helpers (wearing chicken suits, but still...). Hope you are enjoying your new lifestyle. If you would like to 'meet' other members from Virginia, you can find them here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/80/virginia

If you have any questions, feel free to ask (we were all new to this at some point).

welcome! I am new here too :) I am south of you in Tennessee. I am hoping to do what you have done soon. I so want out in the country for me and my kids. And to have more animals and gardens :)

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Thanks! Well, it looks like I have a mixed batch. There are a few black sex links, I think they are called, a few big black Australorpes and some Amber Whites. I think there is an Americauna in there too. Something is laying green or some pastel colored egg, other eggs are light brown, others dark brown and some are white. I got my rooster from someone else, who raised him to be very friendly. He is in my little forum picture. His name is Gomez and he is a Buff Orpington. I think Thelma here is a Black Sex Link?

Thanks! Well, it looks like I have a mixed batch. There are a few black sex links, I think they are called, a few big black Australorpes and some Amber Whites. I think there is an Americauna in there too. Something is laying green or some pastel colored egg, other eggs are light brown, others dark brown and some are white. I got my rooster from someone else, who raised him to be very friendly. He is in my little forum picture. His name is Gomez and he is a Buff Orpington. I think Thelma here is a Black Sex Link?
I love Black Sex Links. They are my favorite chickens; hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years, and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Black Australorps are my favorite, standard breed (BSLs are hybrids rather than a true breed). Black Australorps are extremely hardy, calm and gentle, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. True Ameraucanas are relatively rare and expensive, and lay only blue eggs. If you are getting green eggs, you have Easter Eggers, which are also hybrids. If you are not familiar with the difference between Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers, there is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the difference. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite hens. She loves their colored eggs. Good luck with your flock.

Michael, wow, thank you - I DO have an Easter Egger! They look a bit more primitive, I think, than my other chickens. Also, I feel like my white chickens are the most docile, my Austrolorps seem shy and the Black Sex Links seem very clever. I'm sure their personalities were influenced by their former home though. The Easter Egger actually runs the fastest and follows me the most. Haha. They don't like to be picked up, so I don't try, but I do move calmly around them and touch them when I can get away with it and I know they won't just run away, so it will be a good experience

Back
Top Bottom