City that is progressive and allows chickens?

rosco

Songster
10 Years
Nov 24, 2009
Texas Panhandle
i'm going to city hall in an hour to help present a case that the ordinance prohibiting chickens should be rescinded. i don't have much...

i'm thinking i could simply bring a copy of a city/county program that allows for chickens. while i wait hoping for this, i'll peruse cities around the Bay Area knowing there is some progressiveness out there

Fort Worth allows up to twelve chickens per household.
smile.png

Why not include persuasive evidence of the value of having chickens?

- Bug Control, Could -- over time -- reduce city expenses if they currently spray "as needed" for pests (not sure if they do that there, here it is common practice for mosquitos)
- Family Enrichment (Chicken keeping teaches children responsibility, strengthens familial bonds when chores are done together, etc.)
- Community Health (Go to Mother Earth News and Print out their study on the health benefits of pastured eggs)
- Community Ties (Those who have extra eggs could share locally helping to forge and strengthen community relationships that could lead to lower crime rates, fewer civil disputes, etc.)
- They could help set "Environmental Bar" in the USA and be seen as a Pioneer community for overturning their legislature, this could lead to increased press, and greater revenue for local businesses via tourism
- More money will be fed into the local economy both with people buying feed, supplies, etc. and you could even argue that money saved and the community ties formed will encourage people to extend their local way of life to other arenas, keeping local businesses open.

And I'm sure if you put more than the 2 minutes of thought into it I did here you could come up with many, many more arguments to make your case! Let us know how it comes out!

Quote:
And they allow roosters! Wish I lived there....then I could have kept my little roo that we loved so much. He did go to a very nice family in Forth Worth, though.

I'M FEELING GOOD ABOUT THIS!!!!!! cities everywhere allow them. there is too much support for backyard chickens at state level and federal level for animal control to again suggest it is a health risk to disallow chickens. i'll report in after meeting with commissioners.

just after the USDA sent me calenders for backyard chickens, the city commissioners said they will not hear this issue again until the animal control decides differently. it was the animal control who said they hoped this would flush out chicken owners so they could get rid of all of them.

TOTAL FAILURE! now i must sell any chicks that might hatch and the one white silkie bantam and the coop i built to avoid the wrath of animal control. i'm pegged probably.

sad.png

Back
Top Bottom