City Water vs Rain Water for Quail?

Oct 16, 2020
Hey there.

I was just looking for hatching eggs online, and saw that one hatchery said to never give quail city water, as it is too high in fluoride and other minerals for quail.

Thus far, I’ve given my quail regular tap water, and it hasn’t been a problem. (though, now that I look at it, Hawaii doesnt flouridate its water.)

But, have any of your heard anything about this? About not using tap water for quail?

Out of curiosity, where are you finding hatching eggs that ship to Hawaii? When I first started out, I couldn't find anyone. Now, I've learned there are a couple of farms. I've also found a few people who raise quail locally. For my first batch, I ended up shipping from Hawaii County to Honolulu County.

(BTW, I also use tap water; I don't think we add anything to ours on Oahu.)

Out of curiosity, where are you finding hatching eggs that ship to Hawaii? When I first started out, I couldn't find anyone. Now, I've learned there are a couple of farms. I've also found a few people who raise quail locally. For my first batch, I ended up shipping from Hawaii County to Honolulu County.

(BTW, I also use tap water; I don't think we add anything to ours on Oahu.)
I got my quail from Paradise Poultry on Big Island. Took forver, as it was at the start of COVID, but I don't think they are as backed up anymore.

I am looking to order more chicks or eggs from them, as with my low hatch rate, it's taking a while to build up my flock. (And I'm growing a flock from only 4 original birds, which will eventually lead to some genetic issues.)

I got my quail from Paradise Poultry on Big Island. Took forver, as it was at the start of COVID, but I don't think they are as backed up anymore.

I am looking to order more chicks or eggs from them, as with my low hatch rate, it's taking a while to build up my flock. (And I'm growing a flock from only 4 original birds, which will eventually lead to some genetic issues.)

That's also where I ordered the hatching eggs from. Taking the blame, I think most of my issue was newbie-related, primarily temperature control.

If I were to order eggs again, I think I'd give Myshire quail farm a try. They say they'll ship to Hawaii via USPS Priority or Express.

For this round of incubation, I'm using just hand-selected eggs from my now grown quail. Let's see if I've improved.

Back
Top Bottom