New member here from Victoria, Australia. New to Quail

QuailEnvy24

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2024
Hi guys, I’m new here and somewhat new to owning a Quail.

I’d like to introduce my little baby Envy, who has just turned 10 weeks.

Our journey started when my partner was at work in a paddock that had already been freshly harvested and heard a little “chirp chirp” and decided to look down next to him and there she was! Barely a day old, teeny tiny little ball of fluff all by herself. He reached his hand out and she hopped straight in. With no sight of mum or siblings anywhere, he sent me a photo and I half jokingly said “can we keep her” to which he sighed and said “come get her”. And so, she’s been with us ever since.

I believe she is a Courtonix? But I could be very wrong as I don’t know much about Quail. She is the first bird for both of us and we are absolutely smitten! She has so much personality and is extremely friendly.

We aren’t totally sure if she is a male or female. Initially we thought she is a female but going by information I’ve been seeing online she should be laying by now? But she is not. So someone can point out whether she is a “she” or a “he” that would be helpful. 😂

She doesn’t quite look conventionally like a female? But not a male either or as far as I can tell anyway.😅

Attachments

• IMG_7212.jpeg
    IMG_7212.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7424.jpeg
    IMG_7424.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7588.jpeg
    IMG_7588.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7600.jpeg
    IMG_7600.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 13
Fellow Victorian here. What a lovely story about Envy! I’m glad you rescued her and gave her a loving home. Maybe she needs some friends? I don’t have quail personally so I’m not too sure. One of my friends who breeds & sells birds has recently ventured into quail and has a lot of trouble distinguishing between male and female. People on here should be able to help you though! Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Hello from UK and :welcome

I don't know anything about qauils but as said, you will easily find answers from a number of threads here.
If qauils are like chickens then the tail would be upwards.

Contradiction here ...This little one is so pretty and i would think instantly it would be a female.

Hello and welcome to BYC! Just thought I'd mention if you picked the little up from the paddock you could very likely have a Stubble Quail there, which is one of our native quail species. I dont know much about them but from my quick search your little one could very well be male as they have that black patch on their chest.
An image I found.
Screenshot_20240410-083912_Drive.jpg

Hmmm interesting at first looking at your pictures I was think almost sure you have a coturnix quail I have a very similar colored one but, looking at the picture @Somewhere_In_The_Clouds posted I am now thinking they are correct in it being a stubble quail I’m guessing a immature male with looking at the picture, the black patch matches the head pattern matches and most of the body looks to match.
As well as coturnix would not likely make it in the wild and stubble quail are native there as well as it matches this one almost perfectly.
IMG_6206.jpeg

Hello and welcome to BYC! Just thought I'd mention if you picked the little up from the paddock you could very likely have a Stubble Quail there, which is one of our native quail species. I dont know much about them but from my quick search your little one could very well be male as they have that black patch on their chest.
An image I found.
View attachment 3796643
Thank you so much! I wasn’t 100% sure on what his breed was or gender, honestly I was just guessing but I’m not picky either way. No matter what, i just want to provide him the best life I can. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom