Roo over breeding favourite hen in an undersized flock

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
My female quail, George, has been being overbred by my male. I have a 1 roo to 3 female ratio, and my mum won't let me buy another quail or get rid of my male. She says 'they'll be fine'.
The female isn't bleeding but has ruffled feathers and little nape feathers. She has always had sensitive feathers.

Every time I open the cage door for cleaning she jumps out and runs to my room and waits next to my bed. I put my hands out and she runs onto them, as if she wants me to 'protect her'. She's my friendliest quail.
She used to follow me around as a baby and still does so when I let her. She is harness trained and goes on walks with me, and also seems to enjoy watching movies with me (she follows me and sits on my lap while watching movies with me, I let her go but she doesn't leave until I make her).

She used to be the head female of the flock, but another female decided to take over and now bullies her.

Should I separate her for a bit?
What can I put on the wound to help? Will betadine help?

I'm working on persuading my mum to let me get another female, but what can I do in the meantime?
PXL_20231009_062026535.jpg
PXL_20231009_062013422.jpg
PXL_20231009_062012656.jpg
PXL_20231009_062010819.jpg
PXL_20231009_062009357.jpg
PXL_20231009_061954304.jpg

Edit: none of the other females have any problems and have complete coats. No missing feathers, bald spots or bleeding.

I understand that I need more birds and am working on it. I want to know how to help her in the meantime.

The bird has had a few health problems in the past.

My female quail, George, has been being overbred by my male. I have a 1 roo to 3 female ratio, and my mum won't let me buy another quail or get rid of my male. She says 'they'll be fine'.
The female isn't bleeding but has ruffled feathers and little nape feathers. She has always had sensitive feathers.

Every time I open the cage door for cleaning she jumps out and runs to my room and waits next to my bed. I put my hands out and she runs onto them, as if she wants me to 'protect her'. She's my friendliest quail.
She used to follow me around as a baby and still does so when I let her. She is harness trained and goes on walks with me, and also seems to enjoy watching movies with me (she follows me and sits on my lap while watching movies with me, I let her go but she doesn't leave until I make her).

She used to be the head female of the flock, but another female decided to take over and now bullies her.

Should I separate her for a bit?
What can I put on the wound to help? Will betadine help?

I'm working on persuading my mum to let me get another female, but what can I do in the meantime?
View attachment 3655292View attachment 3655293View attachment 3655294View attachment 3655295View attachment 3655296View attachment 3655297
Edit: none of the other females have any problems and have complete coats. No missing feathers, bald spots or bleeding.

I understand that I need more birds and am working on it. I want to know how to help her in the meantime.

The bird has had a few health problems in the past.
Can you get rid of the male?

I would separate her for a day and put her back in. This may let your boy find another favourite, or he may go nuts breeding her when she gets put back in. It's too bad that your mom won't let you get rid of the last male. Is there a reason she's set on keeping him since you have a place to rehome him?

I would separate her for a day and put her back in. This may let your boy find another favourite, or he may go nuts breeding her when she gets put back in. It's too bad that your mom won't let you get rid of the last male. Is there a reason she's set on keeping him since you have a place to rehome him?
I don't have a place to rehome him, it's my mum's favourite bird. I'll try that on the weekend when I can keep her company, but should I do it sooner?

Should I try putting Vaseline on the Quail's bald patch on her neck? Maybe to temporarily deter the male or keep it moisturised?

My mum won't let me. It's her favorite bird. I know what I have to do, I was just asking if there's anything I can do in the meantime.
I dont know your family dynamic but she either needs to let you take care of the animal properly as its owner and caretaker. the one thing in the world meant to provide for it. or do it herself. Separate from your flock.

I'm planning on separating George for a few days. I'll start on Friday, spend the day with her on Saturday (we're going to watch the emperor's new groove if she wants to) and then add her back in on Sunday at lunch.
The whole time she's with me she will have a big box with an opening to hide in, that has her food and water as well as a dust bath and bedding material inside.

Back
Top Bottom