1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Clandestine chicken owner from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chick M, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Chick M

Chick M New Egg

Jan 16, 2016
    Hi, we live in a suburb that doesn't allow chickens, but we have them anyway. Bad us! In order to make our chickens less obvious to the neighborhood, they sleep in a coup in our garage at night and during the day they run around the yard. The laying chickens ask to come in when it's time to lay an egg by clucking at the back door. I let them in, they lay their eggs, and then they go back out when they're done. Right now we have 13 chickens and 11 chicks. We hatched and are raising some of the chickens for a friend who has farm land. Anyway, the chickens were originally for eggs, but now they are pets and part of the family. Since we started raising chickens, we've had several casualties along the way, but we're getting better at keeping them safe. I'm currently trying to help a chick who's suffering from constipation and that's what brought me to the Backyard Chickens site.

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a warm welcome to BYC. Sounds like an exciting existence - keeping chickens where it's forbidden - do you have a moonshine still in the back garden as well? :lau

Best of luck
    Ct

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

How do you keep that many chickens quiet? I only have 9 and they are pretty chatty (not to mention the egg songs some of them sing).

4. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015

They give 'em a nip of the moonshine of course :D

Ct

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG] So that's how it works!

7. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015

Ah, now come! A few months ago you didn't know chickens grew in plant pots and now this? I give up :he :lau

Ct

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Bear with me Chris, bear with me! [​IMG]

9. CTKen

Jan 30, 2015

Ok, go on then, seeing as it's you :D

Chris

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That's an awful lot of chickens to try and keep under the radar. I hope you have a plan B. for when the inevitable "helpful" neighbor decides to turn you in. There is always at least one person that has to meddle. Could you move yours to your friend's farm if that need should arise?

I think its adorable that they want to lay eggs in your house and then go back out. Keeps them from egg eating and having predators steal their eggs. I would love to see a video of them lining up by your door.

There is a very good thread called "people with house chickens." but, not any use for a large number of birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by