Claret Vine on Run

Aunt Tat

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
Portland, Oregon
I have a pair of Claret Vines that are lovely all year round - ESPECIALLY the autumn!
They do set fruit, and I've tasted them and they're good. I THINK they're related to grapes (I mean WHERE does "claret" that people in the olde days used to sip come from?????)

I wanted to keep the vines in their current location and let them wander over the coop/run.

Does anyone have any experience with chickens nibbling on the fruits?

These are easy to take care of....they grew into the shed that's located where the run will be...just pulled the vine out and snipped it off. Also, grew into the branches of a Crooked Willow...same thing just pulled the vine down and cut it off.

I've learned to stay away from Wisteria and Trumpet Vines
;)

Wisteria is terrible.... Bittersweet is even worse.

I have seen the Bittersweet mayhem in the north.

Here in the southeast Wisteria eats trees.

It's astonishingly beautiful right now -- huge areas by the highways covered in dangling purple, white, or even pink blossoms. But we refuse to plant any wisteria on our property because it can wrestle the kudzu to a standstill!

I have seen the Bittersweet mayhem in the north.

Here in the southeast Wisteria eats trees.

It's astonishingly beautiful right now -- huge areas by the highways covered in dangling purple, white, or even pink blossoms. But we refuse to plant any wisteria on our property because it can wrestle the kudzu to a standstill!
I've heard about Kudzu - we have English Ivy to wrestle within trees. And the Wisteria looks like a living fairy tale, but it's impossible to stay on top of it...OR get rid of the roots! LOL

I guess it's just best to enjoy photos or paintings of it.

I've heard about Kudzu - we have English Ivy to wrestle within trees. And the Wisteria looks like a living fairy tale, but it's impossible to stay on top of it...OR get rid of the roots! LOL

I guess it's just best to enjoy photos or paintings of it.

We thought of putting it onto a trellis in the middle of a lawn that would be kept mowed but figured it would produce seeds that the birds would carry into other areas.

We thought of putting it onto a trellis in the middle of a lawn that would be kept mowed but figured it would produce seeds that the birds would carry into other areas.
the roots, while not exactly like grass, are similar to grass and they'll creep underground and pop up where it's least appreciated. I doubt even chickens could keep it in check LOL

Back
Top Bottom