Clarification on air sac in 14 day incubated eggs

TamaNicole

Chirping
Jan 3, 2022
So I am at the 14 day mark and planning on candling eggs tonight. Photos for reference online are really messing with me. You incubate with the pointy end down - got it. And from what I have read the air sac should be at the top (round end). In photos the air sac in on the bottom but I am assuming people are turning the eggs over to get a better look. It really causes confusion for us newbies lol

As I candle them tonight and keep the pointy end down I am looking for an air sac at the TOP - correct?

One last question......air cells that move.....I was reading you should lock those eggs down in an egg carton so the pointy end is down and helps the chick pip since the air cell is not fixed. Just trying to get all my information before lockdown as I really would love to see these Ayam Cemani babies have the best chance at life. Thanks for all the help!

Air Cell is on the fat end of the egg.
20200724_224934.jpg

So I am at the 14 day mark and planning on candling eggs tonight. Photos for reference online are really messing with me. You incubate with the pointy end down - got it. And from what I have read the air sac should be at the top (round end). In photos the air sac in on the bottom but I am assuming people are turning the eggs over to get a better look. It really causes confusion for us newbies lol

As I candle them tonight and keep the pointy end down I am looking for an air sac at the TOP - correct?

One last question......air cells that move.....I was reading you should lock those eggs down in an egg carton so the pointy end is down and helps the chick pip since the air cell is not fixed. Just trying to get all my information before lockdown as I really would love to see these Ayam Cemani babies have the best chance at life. Thanks for all the help!
Any detached, or jiggly aircells should be reattached by now, & shouldn't move much, or at all.

The air cell should be at the larger end of the egg. Here are two photos I just took of my day 14 Silkie eggs. I prefer to candle from the top. People who have the built-in candlers in the NR 360s for example will often candle the other way. Photos are not real clear but you can see the chick is the dark form in the one photo and the other side shows some veining. The chick has not completely filled out the egg at this point, you should still be able to see movement if you are patient and wait a few moments.
When you go to lock down at day 18 the chick should pretty much have filled up the entire space of the egg except for the air cell. You may or may not be able to see some movement at this time.
Good luck with your hatch.😊
EFAEC150-A05C-4800-92C4-91638F416896.jpeg
FB61538F-63C0-4381-94DE-337002C21B08.jpeg

The air cell should be at the larger end of the egg. Here are two photos I just took of my day 14 Silkie eggs. I prefer to candle from the top. People who have the built-in candlers in the NR 360s for example will often candle the other way. Photos are not real clear but you can see the chick is the dark form in the one photo and the other side shows some veining. The chick has not completely filled out the egg at this point, you should still be able to see movement if you are patient and wait a few moments.
When you go to lock down at day 18 the chick should pretty much have filled up the entire space of the egg except for the air cell. You may or may not be able to see some movement at this time.
Good luck with your hatch.😊View attachment 2970877View attachment 2970878
Thaks for the photos too! I have candled them and out of 30 eggs 19 are viable. Others are either infertile eggs or have blood rings

Back
Top Bottom