Clark Farm, Higganum, CT

gbartha

Chirping
Apr 21, 2016
I just wanted to write my experience with Clark Farm in Higganum, CT. I would not recommend this farm to anyone and wish that we had not gotten our chicks from there.

I had contacted Debbie about picking up 3 chicks from her farm in early July. She said she normally sells them in batches of 6 but since I already have chicks, she agreed. She also said that she would guarantee their sex and that if they were roosters, that she would switch them out. I ordered 1 easter egger (advertised as an araucana) and 2 buffs. When I went to the farm to pick them up, she had a bin in the middle of her driveway. Her husband just scooped up 3 and plopped them in the box I provided. I was a little bummed that I didn't get to pick them out.

She insisted that they be on medicated food and after 24 hours, I could see why. Their poop was bloody. I went to the store, got medicated food and it cleared up. Fast forward to 5 weeks later. A friend who had also ordered from them had two roosters (this was after they got them at 8 weeks old). She switched them out and it got me thinking about my easter egger. After discussions with many people here, there was an overwhelming consensus that Ginger was in fact a George. He already had a red peacomb and red patches on his shoulders. He even acted like a rooster. When I contacted her for the switch, I had to call 3 times. She never returned my calls or emails. I finally got her on the 4th phone call. She made an appointment to switch out my roo for another EE or Buff.

When I got there, her husband was waiting. He saw my easter egger and said, oh thats a girl. I told him no, I am pretty sure its a boy. His wife came down and she had a black australorp baby waiting for me. I looked a little confused and she said, "Oh thats right, you wanted a Buff." "A buff or Easter Egger" I said. Her husband seemed put out by it but went to the back of the farm (out of view of customers) to get another chick. He came back with the saddest two 8 week old chicks. All their back feathers had been pulled out and they were covered in red scabs. I was appalled and said that I would not be taking that chick. The husband said "Well, they are free range, thats what happens". At this point he had grabbed my bird (who is 5.5 weeks) and attempted to vent-sex him, insisting again that he was a she. I pointed out the peacomb being red and the coloration. These breeders said they were in business for 15 years and yet they don't know that you can't vent sex a chicken after its a day or two old. I was pretty disgusted at this point. They then offered me a day old chick, which I declined since it would be a singleton all on its own. They eventually found me a sad looking 4 week old buff, who also have scabs on its back. I took her home and put her in a crate for the 30 day quarantine. I asked my friend if her 8 week chickens had missing feathers. She said that they told her that their feathers hadn't come in yet.

If you can avoid getting chicks from this place, please do so. They should not be in business. They obviously have crowding issues, as well as, too many roosters per hens. I am hoping that my new chick survives and doesn't have any other underlining issues.

**UPDATE** I was contacted 1 day later from the breeder asking about the well being of the 4 week old chick. I informed her of the missing feathers and scabs. She offered to send a refund of what a 6 week bird would cost as a consultation. I hope that in the future, she will keep better care of her birds, however this does not change my opinions of their farm.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for this post. I just moved to Higganum and I am looking to purchase several chicks from a humane place. Any recommendation?
welcome-byc.gif

Honestly I would join the CT post on here (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/55/connecticut/8230#post_17424310) and ask if anyone is selling a particular breed. Are you looking for any breed in particular? Look for a breeder that is listed on the CT breeder site. There is a breeder on the CT/Mass Line that I was talking to in the link above. He sells actual Araucanas, which are ones that lay blue eggs. Not sure if he has chicks for sale right now.

This site is fantastic and has helped me along my chicken journey. Goodluck!

Last edited:
I just wanted to write my experience with Clark Farm in Higganum, CT. I would not recommend this farm to anyone and wish that we had not gotten our chicks from there.

I had contacted Debbie about picking up 3 chicks from her farm in early July. She said she normally sells them in batches of 6 but since I already have chicks, she agreed. She also said that she would guarantee their sex and that if they were roosters, that she would switch them out. I ordered 1 easter egger (advertised as an araucana) and 2 buffs. When I went to the farm to pick them up, she had a bin in the middle of her driveway. Her husband just scooped up 3 and plopped them in the box I provided. I was a little bummed that I didn't get to pick them out.

She insisted that they be on medicated food and after 24 hours, I could see why. Their poop was bloody. I went to the store, got medicated food and it cleared up. Fast forward to 5 weeks later. A friend who had also ordered from them had two roosters (this was after they got them at 8 weeks old). She switched them out and it got me thinking about my easter egger. After discussions with many people here, there was an overwhelming consensus that Ginger was in fact a George. He already had a red peacomb and red patches on his shoulders. He even acted like a rooster. When I contacted her for the switch, I had to call 3 times. She never returned my calls or emails. I finally got her on the 4th phone call. She made an appointment to switch out my roo for another EE or Buff.

When I got there, her husband was waiting. He saw my easter egger and said, oh thats a girl. I told him no, I am pretty sure its a boy. His wife came down and she had a black australorp baby waiting for me. I looked a little confused and she said, "Oh thats right, you wanted a Buff." "A buff or Easter Egger" I said. Her husband seemed put out by it but went to the back of the farm (out of view of customers) to get another chick. He came back with the saddest two 8 week old chicks. All their back feathers had been pulled out and they were covered in red scabs. I was appalled and said that I would not be taking that chick. The husband said "Well, they are free range, thats what happens". At this point he had grabbed my bird (who is 5.5 weeks) and attempted to vent-sex him, insisting again that he was a she. I pointed out the peacomb being red and the coloration. These breeders said they were in business for 15 years and yet they don't know that you can't vent sex a chicken after its a day or two old. I was pretty disgusted at this point. They then offered me a day old chick, which I declined since it would be a singleton all on its own. They eventually found me a sad looking 4 week old buff, who also have scabs on its back. I took her home and put her in a crate for the 30 day quarantine. I asked my friend if her 8 week chickens had missing feathers. She said that they told her that their feathers hadn't come in yet.

If you can avoid getting chicks from this place, please do so. They should not be in business. They obviously have crowding issues, as well as, too many roosters per hens. I am hoping that my new chick survives and doesn't have any other underlining issues.

**UPDATE** I was contacted 1 day later from the breeder asking about the well being of the 4 week old chick. I informed her of the missing feathers and scabs. She offered to send a refund of what a 6 week bird would cost as a consultation. I hope that in the future, she will keep better care of her birds, however this does not change my opinions of their farm.
Hello, I live in Connecticut as well. This is where I got my chickens.

As we went online, we thought the place was a big farm, but it turned out to be someones house. This confused us upon arrival, but we passed it off and got the 6 chicks we ordered anyways.

Upon getting home, one of them had splayed legs. Obviously from over crowding, as you mentioned. While we did not notice any other health problems, we are now reminded never to do business with these people again.

We also noticed upon arrival home, the chicks were AFRAID of us. Like, not just because they didn't know us, but like we were going to kill them. They ran around frantically every time we tried to grab one (we wanted to check for problems after the other incident). They never liked us, and still don't even let us pick them up now, (15 weeks old)

Another issue.
We ordered 6 hens, 2 buffs, 2 rirs, and 2 barred rocks.
What did we end up with only 6 weeks later?
A rooster.
We don't want a rooster, and it's only harder for us to dispose of it/trade it on because we've had "HER" since a baby. We've already noticed him trying to find his voice in the morning, making the famous rooster call, and we'd rather not see our neighbors start calling the town because of it.

Do not order from this place. The pictures make it look big, but they exclude the whole other side of their yard.

Last edited:
Hello, I live in Connecticut as well. This is where I got my chickens.

As we went online, we thought the place was a big farm, but it turned out to be someones house. This confused us upon arrival, but we passed it off and got the 6 chicks we ordered anyways.

Upon getting home, one of them had splayed legs. Obviously from over crowding, as you mentioned. While we did not notice any other health problems, we are now reminded never to do business with these people again.

We also noticed upon arrival home, the chicks were AFRAID of us. Like, not just because they didn't know us, but like we were going to kill them. They ran around frantically every time we tried to grab one (we wanted to check for problems after the other incident). They never liked us, and still don't even let us pick them up now, (15 weeks old)

Another issue.
We ordered 6 hens, 2 buffs, 2 rirs, and 2 barred rocks.
What did we end up with only 6 weeks later?
A rooster.
We don't want a rooster, and it's only harder for us to dispose of it/trade it on because we've had "HER" since a baby. We've already noticed him trying to find his voice in the morning, making the famous rooster call, and we'd rather not see our neighbors start calling the town because of it.

Do not order from this place. The pictures make it look big, but they exclude the whole other side of their yard.
What age did you get your chicks? I totally understand about getting attached. That is specifically why I wanted pre-sexed chicks. You get so attached. I am actually surprised that no one else has reviewed this farm yet. They should not be in business. Oh and that "refund" that she promised.... nothing but an empty promise. Thankfully Gloria is on the mend and her tail feathers are growing back nicely.

Hi, we were looking to supplement our flock about a year ago and bought 4 chicks from here. I had originally wanted Auracaunas and barred rocks and she promised i would have these at about 16 weeks of age. Like you, I was concerned when I turned up to a house with a large bin in the driveway! Weird husband with very little to say. We were asked to pick out 4 chicks from the bin, none were Barred Rocks and they were 9 weeks old! I picked out 2 Auracaunas, 1 buff Cochin and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, which turned out to be a rooster. I didn't bother contacting them again but I would not advise anyone to get chicks here.

Did you like your chicks from Clark Farm? I just place order to buy 12-week old pullets. I am bit worried after seeing your post. Thank you!

Do not buy from Clark farms. I put in an order last year in February and they gave me the runaround about having my chicks. I then looked them up on the Better Business Bureau website and I've never seen a hatchery with complaints Like this. I had to threaten to come up there on one of their open farm days with my local friends and make a big stink before they refunded my money. It's really sad what a place stays open like this and does business. I'm just glad I was somewhat local to be able to force them to refund my money, because if you are not close to them you are screwed.

Back
Top Bottom